ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Letters like falling leaves

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robyn RhodesLetters like falling leaves
by on Nov 5, 2010 at 9:17:12 pm

Hi There.

I need to have some letters fall into frame from above like leaves. Anyone have a suggestion?

And have a good weekend, if you have one.


Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Letters like falling leaves
by on Nov 5, 2010 at 10:10:16 pm has an old tutorial that may help you:

and a search at adobe community help for ae may have more:

but a fairly simple way would be to create your letters in a smallish comp, so a letter fills the frame fairly well and a there is a different letter on each frame.

then bring that comp into your final comp, add a solid and add particle world effect. for particle type choose textured quad poly and select your letter comp and choose 'birth' for texture time. move the producer off screen top and increase the longevity of the particles.

after that, it's a matter of playing with other settings like birth rate, velocity, gravity, animation style (you might try 'twirl') and other physics settings.

you may also need to lengthen the letter comp to be the same duration as the main comp. an easy way to do that is to enable time re-mapping (layer>time>time re-mapping), then add an expresion to the time remapping property (animation>add expression) and type loopOut() which will then loop time for that layer. you may also need to drag the outpoint of that layer to the end of the comp.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

Robyn RhodesRe: Letters like falling leaves
by on Nov 11, 2010 at 3:10:27 pm

thanks all. very helpful


I'm only half the thing I say I am, the other half are me.

Return to posts index

Brian CharlesRe: Letters like falling leaves
by on Nov 5, 2010 at 10:33:51 pm

There are several techniques that may work for you. Dan Ebberts has a great script on his site here:

As well if you have Particular that would yield the best results. If you do not you can use Particle World to achieve something like you describe.

Here is a file with 2 examples:

Return to posts index

Joseph W. BourkeRe: Letters like falling leaves
by on Nov 6, 2010 at 8:53:23 pm

There's a 3D text preset (in presets 2 - you may need to download this from the Adobe website as an additional "goodie"). It's called "3D Falling like leaves". Sounds like just what you want.

Joe Bourke
Creative Director / Multimedia Specialist
B&S Exhibits and Multimedia

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 All Rights Reserved