ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Gradient Banding

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan BarnesGradient Banding
by on Nov 5, 2010 at 1:56:57 pm

I am working on a project in After Effects CS5 and when I render it all the gradients become banded. I have tried rendering it in these codecs ( H.264, Apple Pro Res 422, and Photo-JPEG) I have also tried each of these codecs both in 8bpc and 16 bpc but nothing seems to be fixing this.

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Gradient Banding
by on Nov 5, 2010 at 3:15:55 pm

you should never render form ae to h.264. it's not a working codec, and should only be used for delivery. and should always be done with software that will do a multipass encode.

pro res and photo-jpeg are fine though, and if this is an intermediate step (ie, the animation is going to an nle or some other stage), then i'd set the photo-jpeg setting to 90-95%.

as for banding, you can usually add an adjustment layer with the noise effect on it. it shouldn't take much noise (less that 5%) to hide the banding.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Gradient Banding
by on Nov 5, 2010 at 3:24:43 pm

Blurring one or more of the color channels does a better job for reducing or eliminating banding problems. Adding noise more to a comp which may be destined for Web delivery will only result in a poorer quality web version as compressors usually have a harder time compressing noise.

Use Effect>Channel Blur and increase one of the values to solve your problem. You can tell which channel needs more attention by looking at the individual color channels in the Comp Panel prior to applying Channel Blur.

AE Training in South East Asia. AE templates for sale and rental. Click here for more

Return to posts index

Ryan BarnesRe: Gradient Banding
by on Nov 5, 2010 at 3:32:15 pm

OKay, Thanks for the help!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved