ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE Resolution Size

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Hashemi
AE Resolution Size
on Nov 5, 2010 at 2:49:56 am

So I shoot in full 1920x1080 resolution with a 7D @ 24fps...this maybe a simple question, but in AE, is it better to be editing at this same resolution level, or should I be reducing and later expanding so that the render times are so grueling?

If I'm not mistaken, for motion graphics applied to video clips, I should be editing the clip at its full resolution...but for animation/typography/etc. such as title sequence intros and so on, can I do it in a smaller size and then scale up once imported into Premiere or is that not recommended?

Main issue is that at 1920x1080, the render times while working take forever! I'm on a MBP, 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM.

Thanks!
Dan

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: AE Resolution Size
on Nov 5, 2010 at 6:08:54 am

Work at the pixel dimensions of the largest output that you're likely to create. That way, you won't have to do any scaling.

Scaling of pixels always loses quality, in any application, so it's best to avoid it. Scaling down loses less quality than scaling up.

When it comes time to render and export, create your master at the original size of your composition, and you can also crop and scale as needed to create smaller output versions.

See this page for more on planning you work.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Simon Bonner
on Nov 5, 2010 at 10:17:25 am

Dan,

You might like to watch some tutorials on using proxies (lower resolution copies of your original assets that are easier to work with before you decide to render). You can always turn off intensive effects like grain and blur whilst working, or work at a lower res. But like Todd says, there's no point rendering at a lower res and then upscaling, regardless of the type of project you're working on. It will look nasty.

Simon Bonner

youtube.com/simonsaysfx

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 5, 2010 at 3:07:19 pm

[Dan Hashemi] "...I shoot in full 1920x1080 resolution with a 7D @ 24fps... the render times while working take forever! I'm on a MBP, 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM."

I'm not surprised by the long render time. For AE work, 4 GB RAM is downright skimpy. Don't use multiprocessing in AE -- you don't have enough memory. Here at work I run a Mac Pro with 8 GB, and I don't even think about using multiprocessing. I think your machine maxes out at 8 GB RAM, which you should definitely get because it's very beneficial... but you still shouldn't use multiprocessing.

If you're not running AE 10 -- with the free update to 10.0.1 -- your footage could also be an issue. Your camera records in H.264, a long-gop codec, and it gives everything but the latest version of AE big problems... like long render times. You'd have to convert to something lossless or uncompressed.

And are you sure the frame rate is 24fps? Isn't it 23.976 fps? If it's actually 23.976, you should be working in a 23.976 AE comp.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Dan Hashemi
on Nov 5, 2010 at 10:24:26 pm

Now you've convinced me to go up to 8GB :)
Sorry, I did mean 23.973...it was just easier to type 24, lol!

Thanks for the response though! Much appreciated and great insight!
Dan

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 8, 2010 at 2:59:56 pm

[Dan Hashemi] "...I did mean 23.973...it was just easier to type 24..."

...and I hope you actually meant 23.976 and not 23.973, too.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]