ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

2k film out

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Carlos Perez
2k film out
on Nov 4, 2010 at 5:40:12 pm

I am currently editing and planing my color grading workflow through AE using Colorista 2. It is my first 2K feauture film so I´ve had tons of questions to the lab for the final film out. Recently I explained to them my desired workflow and they told me it would be better to run the whole color grading through Scratch(we only wanted a 2 day final check session before blow up). We are an UltraLowBudget film and have always wanted to maintain the most of our processes as posible on our own equipment. Can I achieve acceptable color grading on AE for film out? or am I totally going to crash and burn because of our low budget limitations? Please all info is helpful.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: 2k film out
on Nov 4, 2010 at 8:56:35 pm

[Carlos Perez] "I am currently editing and planing my color grading workflow through AE using Colorista 2... Can I achieve acceptable color grading on AE for film out? or am I totally going to crash and burn because of our low budget limitations? "

I love Colorista II, and I use it all the time for quick color enhancement on single shots. It's a great and capable tool, but I can't imagine grading a feature with it -- AE/Colorista just doesn't have the grading or conforming toolset that a proper color correction system like DaVinci, Color, Scratch, Baselight, or Lustre has.

If you're going to do this in AE, you'll need to understand color depth, color management, LUTs, and log/lin DPX input and output. You'll need to manage your own media carefully in the event of any picture changes, because AE will not do it for you. You'll need to have lots of patience, because nothing will be realtime.

If you're already familiar with all these concepts, you're well on your way. If these are unfamiliar, you'll have a lot of on-the-job learning to do.

[Carlos Perez] "We are an UltraLowBudget film and have always wanted to maintain the most of our processes as posible on our own equipment."

What equipment exactly is it that you've got? Do you have external video monitoring -- a capture card and a calibrated video monitor? Scopes?

If you're running Macs with Final Cut Studio, you might consider Color -- the workflow will be much smoother.

I understand the budgetary pressure, but depending on your setup, skills, and schedule, your lab's suggestion to grade on Scratch with a fulltime colorist may be a worthwhile investment for your film.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]