ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

does after effects have an exclude pathfinder button??

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
kate koyama
does after effects have an exclude pathfinder button??
on Nov 4, 2010 at 4:47:14 pm

hello again... now... does AE have an exclude pathfinder button. Sort of like the Illustrator one???

I'd like to cut out a shape from another shape, so you can see through it.

I know you can import the already cut out shape form illustrator but I was wondering if that's possible in AE.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: does after effects have an exclude pathfinder button??
on Nov 4, 2010 at 4:55:18 pm

[kate koyama] "I'd like to cut out a shape from another shape, so you can see through it."

Why don't you use that "other" shape as a track matte?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Nov 4, 2010 at 5:48:21 pm

if you draw masks on a layer then you have options for add, subtract, and intersect (similar to illustrator), but you don't have the same options for multiple shapes on a shape layer... so it depends on what you are working with.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

kate koyama
on Nov 4, 2010 at 6:12:16 pm

I'm doing multiple shapes..
so I have a rectangle and I'd like to make the shapes see through on the rectangle... so like a wall full of perforations...

Return to posts index

kate koyama
on Nov 4, 2010 at 6:19:24 pm

OK... so I created several compositions of the shape... I nested them into another comp and I drew a rectangle... can I mask all of them to that rectangle.. or is it always only the shape below only?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 4, 2010 at 6:25:25 pm

[kate koyama] "I have a rectangle and I'd like to make the shapes see through on the rectangle... so like a wall full of perforations..."

Kevin's solutions are usually more elegant than mine; I like simple Brute Force methods when I can use them. Here's one for your situation:
  • Make a rectangle-sized comp.
  • Using solids & masks, create your shapes.
  • Alternately, just create shapes.
  • Arrange the layers to make the desired holes.
  • Turn on the familiar Photoshop checkerboard background pattern to check that you have a transparent background.
  • Nest this comp in the main comp, the one with the rectangle.
  • Use the nested comp as a track matte for the rectangle.

That oughta do it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

George Smyth
on Mar 22, 2013 at 12:26:05 pm

For anyone coming across this as I just did, if you have multiple shapes contained within in one shape layer, in the shape layer 'Add' options (small arrow to right of 'Contents') you can choose 'Merge Paths'. This then has Pathfinder style options.

You can apply Merge Paths to all the contents by selecting 'Contents' before adding Merge paths, or if you select the individual shape it applies the Merge Paths to whatever is contained within that shape.

Return to posts index

Michal Poniedzielski
on Feb 8, 2014 at 3:31:30 pm

I don't know if I get you right, but this is how I solve problems with shapes/masks/paths. Since I like the logic of such transitions incorporated into Illustrator, where Pathfinder makes all the hustle for me, almost "in background", I always wanted to have such ease of work in AE. The solution which I find good in most situation looks like that:

1. create your complex shape with pathfinder in AI
2. Save it as *.ai file
3. Import this file into AE
4. Place it on timeline (wherever on the timeline - it doesn't matter, because you will remove it in a moment)
5. RMB on that *.ai layer on timeline and choose "Create shapes from vector layer". AE crates then new shape layer which contains a buch of groups of paths with all the dependancies necessary for the shape resamble your original creation made in AI. So AE wors like hitting "Pathfinder button" in AI
6. Remove original *.ai layer from timeline (just not to clutter the workline)

I hope I helped a bit :)
Regards

Creative Creature :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]