ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

affect effects CS5 crash whit out any notice

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gerardo Floresaffect effects CS5 crash whit out any notice
by on Nov 4, 2010 at 12:14:02 pm

Hello Guys

Have been long time with our any problems after I get 20Gb ram to my mac pro 8 caores
and I thought was the end of all my nightmare with after effects :)

But Im here again :(
Im just had the first problem trying to add a light effects from Knoll factory pro ( Red Giant software)
and I thought was just something small....

Now Im trying to open some projects ( 2 months old ) and when I try to work with them I get
the problem ...
Im sure that are not those plugins from red giant because if I open a new project I can work whit any of them whit no problems

what can cause this???

learning after effects

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: After Effects CS5 crashes without any notice
by on Nov 4, 2010 at 3:30:37 pm

20 GB seems to be an odd amount of memory -- usually you see 16, 24 or 36 GB configurations for a Mac Pro. This could be your problem.

I don't know how to install memory properly for Macs, but other people here do.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: After Effects CS5 crashes without any notice
by on Nov 4, 2010 at 9:00:20 pm

the fact that it sounds like it is specific to earlier projects using some of the knoll effects, i'm leaning towards opengl as the problem.

when you open a project that is causing the crash, try enabling the caps-lock key. this will prevent ae from trying to render a preview of the current frame, which should prevent a crash if it is caused by opengl.

then go into the knoll effect settings and make sure that any option for use opengl is disabled (not checked). i'd also check your ae preference for previews and make sure that opengl is not checked there too. after that, hit the caps lock key and see if you get a crash. if not, save the project, and you may need to do this for any other older projects that have the same problem.

if that doesn't help, try importing the old project into a new project file. occasionally a project file can get corrupt, and importing it into a new project can help, though not always.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved