ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Can't Drag & Drop from iTunes into After Effects CS5

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel HooverCan't Drag & Drop from iTunes into After Effects CS5
by on Nov 4, 2010 at 11:23:53 am

Hi everyone,

For some reason I have lost the ability to drag and drop mp3 and other unprotected sound files from iTunes into After Effects CS5 project panel. Some info:

Windows 7 64 bit
After Effects CS5 ver.
iTunes ver.

It used to be with CS3 version of AE and some previous version of iTunes on Windows XP, dragging an mp3 from iTunes to the Project panel worked just fine.

Now the only way to do this is to drag and drop to the desktop (which makes a copy), and then drag and drop that to After Effects. However, this is a bad solution because AE is now referencing the desktop copy, not the original song that iTunes was referencing.

Any ideas...? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Can't Drag & Drop from iTunes into After Effects CS5
by on Nov 4, 2010 at 3:21:05 pm

Well, it's a moot point anyway.

You shouldn't be using mp3 files in AE in the first place -- you should convert them to AIFF or WAV files for use in AE. Never had any problems using mp3's? You've been lucky, and one day your luck's gonna run out.

And if you don't have it, get the free update to AE 10.0.1 from Adobe.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Daniel HooverRe: Can't Drag & Drop from iTunes into After Effects CS5
by on Nov 12, 2010 at 12:55:32 pm

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the response. Regardless whether it's an mp3 or a WAV, After Effects simply won't accept a drag-and-drop from iTunes. However, it will accept it from everywhere else for some reason (i.e. the desktop, a folder)

I love using iTunes as a music file browser and organizer so that I don't have to hunt through layers of folder architecture. I have always used this handy feature between the two programs until I upgraded to Windows 7 and CS5 and now it won't work. My After Effects is indeed 10.0.1. I'm just not sure how to fix it at this point.

Any other ideas would be appreciated!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved