ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE Render Setting Question...

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Moss
AE Render Setting Question...
on Nov 4, 2010 at 8:28:30 am

Hi Everyone...

I have a project with a several Comps that are ready to be rendered for final output.
My client orginally told me to make them all HD, so all of them have been rendered with these settings...

H. 264
1920x1080
HDV 1080/DVCPROHD 720 (1.33)

NOW....hes telling me that they are all going to be projected onto a movie theater size screen for a play...Projected behind the live actors.

What are the correct settings for that kinda output?

Thanks for the help and info...

Return to posts index

alex dinnin
Re: AE Render Setting Question...
on Nov 4, 2010 at 11:56:14 am

Your best bet is to find out exactly how they are being projected.. are you supplying a tape.. a quicktime..

get your client to speak with the projectionist and ask him what normally works best..

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 4, 2010 at 3:16:50 pm

How many variations of this thing do you have to deliver? In your delivery specs, I see the following:

1920x1080, H.264
1920x1080, DVCPro HD
960x720 (1.33 PAR), H.264
960x720 (1.33 PAR), DVCPro HD

Is that right?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Mike Moss
on Nov 4, 2010 at 5:03:01 pm

No, they only need to be delivered in one format...

The list above was the AE settings i had for rendering.

H.264 Codec @ 1920x1080 with PAR of 1.33.

I thought i had the correct settings, because he said he wants them HD. Heard that H.264 was good for HD. Hence the 1920x1080 settings.
Also said he needs them rectangular pixels; why i chose PAR of 1.33.

HDV 1080/DVCPROHD 720 (1.33) <---was the dropdown setting for the 1.33 rectangular pixel option in AE.

Am i wrong on these settings?...Either way looks like i will have to adjust for the new specs of having them Movie theater size?

Which is the correct setting for that? Film 4k?

Thanks...

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 4, 2010 at 5:10:48 pm

Before you go to all the trouble of doing the AE work, you need to get your delivery specs straight. Go back to the client, and if need be, talk to the people who will be playing your AE work. Don't be shy about asking: you're investigating the final deliver specs because you want to get it right the first time, and that's always an admirable quality.

Right now you're just guessing, and that's never good.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Mike Moss
on Nov 4, 2010 at 5:18:08 pm

I'm going to get into contact with the projectionist at the theatre this will be played at.

Since i've never done a project that is movie theatre size,
what would i ask him?

I heard there are diffrent types of projecters that theatres use, will that make a diffrence?

If you were me, what would you ask to make sure you got it right on the first try?

Thanks Dave.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 4, 2010 at 5:32:40 pm

[Mike Moss] "If you were me, what would you ask to make sure you got it right on the first try?"

"Mr. / Ms. Projectionist, I'm contemplating creating my project in HD for use at your theater. In order to get a good-looking playback, what sort of file do I need to deliver in terms of codec, horizontal & vertical resolution and frame rate?"

Things to watch for:
Codec: if the theater plays back in a proprietary codec, they may have to convert ANYTHING they get, and you should ask. If they do, ask about delivering in a good intermediate codec, and ask for a few suggestions.
Frame rate: There's a difference between 24fps and 23.976 fps. Find out which variant of the popular film frame rate they want.
Resolution: should be straightforward.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]