ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

purchasing ram

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Kapletonpurchasing ram
by on Nov 3, 2010 at 7:24:34 pm

I am about to buy a 12 core mac pro and was going to buy 24 or 32 gb's but am by sure whether to do 8 gb sticks or less. Aldo curious if i can do x3 8 gb sticks or if they have to still be in pairs distributed on both sides?!

do people think owc is decent or no?

Return to posts index

Robyn RhodesRe: purchasing ram
by on Nov 3, 2010 at 8:56:55 pm

OWC has been great to me.

I'm only half the thing I say I am, the other half are me.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: purchasing ram
by on Nov 3, 2010 at 9:16:30 pm

I just got a new machine to be used primarily for AE work. It has 24 GB on it, and if I could have afforded more, I would have gotten more. So to me, your 36 GB idea sounds pretty darned good.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Brian CharlesRe: purchasing ram
by on Nov 3, 2010 at 9:52:08 pm

My 12 core is on order, shipped today. I've ordered 32 GB of RAM (8 x 4GB) and will let you know whether 24 or 32 is better.

The 12 core uses a Nehalem processor, the the memory controllers on these have 3 gates which pass data in and out of RAM, hence the memory is optimized using multiples of 3 RAM chips.

However, the benchmarks I seen show only a 5% drop in memory performance when multiples of 4 chips are used. I'm much more interested in loading larger files and having longer RAM previews than I am in a 5% gain in memory speed.

These Mac Pro's will support 8 GB chips but the cost of 3 x 8 GB was higher than the 32 I bought. I hope 32 will keep me happy for the next 2 or 3 years.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved