ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

purchasing ram

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Kapleton
purchasing ram
on Nov 3, 2010 at 7:24:34 pm

hello
I am about to buy a 12 core mac pro and was going to buy 24 or 32 gb's but am by sure whether to do 8 gb sticks or less. Aldo curious if i can do x3 8 gb sticks or if they have to still be in pairs distributed on both sides?!

do people think owc is decent or no?
thanks
sean

Return to posts index

Robyn Rhodes
Re: purchasing ram
on Nov 3, 2010 at 8:56:55 pm

OWC has been great to me.

I'm only half the thing I say I am, the other half are me.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 3, 2010 at 9:16:30 pm

I just got a new machine to be used primarily for AE work. It has 24 GB on it, and if I could have afforded more, I would have gotten more. So to me, your 36 GB idea sounds pretty darned good.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Brian Charles
on Nov 3, 2010 at 9:52:08 pm

My 12 core is on order, shipped today. I've ordered 32 GB of RAM (8 x 4GB) and will let you know whether 24 or 32 is better.

The 12 core uses a Nehalem processor, the the memory controllers on these have 3 gates which pass data in and out of RAM, hence the memory is optimized using multiples of 3 RAM chips.

However, the benchmarks I seen show only a 5% drop in memory performance when multiples of 4 chips are used. I'm much more interested in loading larger files and having longer RAM previews than I am in a 5% gain in memory speed.

These Mac Pro's will support 8 GB chips but the cost of 3 x 8 GB was higher than the 32 I bought. I hope 32 will keep me happy for the next 2 or 3 years.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]