ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Blurry when scaling/zooming in

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Brady
Blurry when scaling/zooming in
on Nov 3, 2010 at 4:21:23 pm

Sorry if I don't make any sense, I have only just started using After Effects CS4 as of yesterday!

Anyway, my problem is whenever I scale/zoom in something it looks all blurred, in particular text that I have created within AE. I've tried zooming with the camera and even scaling the text itself, still is blurred. I've even tried rendering the file to see if the render will fix my problem up, but its still blurred! Does anyone have a solution to my problem?

Attached is a picture of what I am experiencing, it is size 7px text zoomed in at 1300%.

Thank you for your help,
Daniel Brady

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Blurry when scaling/zooming in
on Nov 3, 2010 at 6:23:33 pm

Do you have your layer quality set to draft or best?

Starting out in AE? You should definitely start here.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 3, 2010 at 8:00:47 pm

[Daniel Brady] "I have only just started using After Effects CS4 as of yesterday... whenever I scale/zoom in something it looks all blurred... it is size 7px text zoomed in at 1300%."

Do yourself a big, huge favor and follow the link Michael gave you. You absolutely, positively can NOT jump into the deep end of the pool using AE. It's one of those "learn to walk before you run" kinds of applications.

But to answer your question, ANY bitmapped image is going to go soft when scaled up to 1300%. The only way to preserve sharpness is to use vector images, like the ones you make in Adobe Illustrator.

And to anticipate your next question... no, you can't import a bitmapped image into Illustrator, save the file and expect it to be instantly vector. It has to begin life as a vector image.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Gary Hazen
on Nov 4, 2010 at 4:30:11 pm

You use the terms scale and zoom as if they are the same thing. They are not. Scaling is used to change the size of a layer. Zooming is used to change the magnification in a comp or layer window, for example zooming in to make adjustments to a mask. If you have "zoomed" in the comp window to 1300% it's no surprise that the image is degraded. Zoom back out to 100% and all we be well again.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]