ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Shatter Effect - problems with overlaping shapes

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michal Poniedzielski
Shatter Effect - problems with overlaping shapes
on Nov 2, 2010 at 10:40:10 pm

I'm creating a row of book spines (like on a shelf) and want to push them of the shelf from behind. I have managed to create extruded image of those books with custom shape made for shutter effect to know how to "treat" those books. I have used AE native Shatter Effect.

But there's a problem - when the books are pushed from the shelf (shattered) they overlap each other while rotating. I know that I can turn off rotation on Y axis to get rid of that, but I want those book to behave more natural. Is there any way of telling the Shatter Effect to restrict those "virtual 3D shapes" and not overlap each other? Or maybe other Shatter Effect (not the native one)?

Here are the image to show You what I mean:

LAPTOP: Sony Vaio VPCF11S1E: Intel Core i7 (1.6 GHz) | 6GB RAM | GeForce GT 330M | Win7 x64 Home |
DESKTOP: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 | Asus P5B Deluxe | 4GB RAM | GeForce7200 | Windows XP Pro SP3

Return to posts index

Michal Poniedzielski
Re: Shatter Effect - problems with overlaping shapes
on Nov 3, 2010 at 12:17:46 am

The above link could not work - here is replacement

http://www.vimeo.com/micz

LAPTOP: Sony Vaio VPCF11S1E: Intel Core i7 (1.6 GHz) | 6GB RAM | GeForce GT 330M | Win7 x64 Home |
DESKTOP: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 | Asus P5B Deluxe | 4GB RAM | GeForce7200 | Windows XP Pro SP3

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 3, 2010 at 1:24:54 am

It seems that you want AE to behave like 3D application. Shatter can simulate limited depth, but it was never intended to create the depth necessary for a book. You need a 3D program for something like this.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michal Poniedzielski
on Nov 4, 2010 at 12:35:33 am

Hmmm. I was afraid of getting that answer. I had little hope that somewhere out there, in Your compositions guys, live some "magical trick" which could help me here. I'm sad then, that it's not true. :)

Thx for reply, though.

By the way - what resolves the problem partly is manipulating the position and amount of Forces used to shatter the books. After few minutes of trying different combinations I managed to obtain shattering effect in which the objects doesn't overlap each-other VISIBLY (the overlapping ones are "hidden" beneath some other books in the front of view). Making the force bigger makes the move faster too, and additionally helps "loosing" mistakes. I Hope that it would help some of You with similar problem.

http://www.vimeo.com/micz

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]