ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Problem converting a FCP sequence into After Effects

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rafael MosesProblem converting a FCP sequence into After Effects
by on Nov 2, 2010 at 5:18:50 pm

Hello All,

This is my first time posting on Creative Cow. Thanks in advance for taking the time to look at this post. My problem is as follows:

I have an edited sequence in Final Cut Pro. I want to bring the whole sequence into After Effects for color correction and other effects. I have a program called Automatic Duck Pro Import AE 4 that exports an XML file from FCP and then allows you to import this XML file in After Effects. When I attempt to import my XML file in AE I get an error message that reads: "field order must be set before 3:2 pull down can be removed," and the sequence does not open in After Effects.

The footage was shot on mini DV. I believe the footage was shot 24p but it shows up as 29.97fps in FCP, (I may have had wrong import settings when I originally captured footage). The field dominance is Lower (Even). I'm not sure if there are settings I need to set in FCP or in AE. Anyone have any ideas how to remedy this issue?

Rafael Moses

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Problem converting a FCP sequence into After Effects
by on Nov 2, 2010 at 7:47:38 pm

[Rafael Moses] "Anyone have any ideas how to remedy this issue?"

It is a very bad idea to leave footage shot at 24p as 29.97. A very bad idea indeed.

You should have removed the 3:2 pulldown in FCP BEFORE you began editing, and you should have edited in a 23.976 (aka 23.980 FCP edit timeline. I don't like being the bearer of bad news, but now you have to go back to Square One and remove the pulldown, and possibly re-edit. Sorry.

Once 24p footage has been edited, there really isn't any elegant way to remove the pulldown after the fact. There are workarounds, but unless you know FCP very well, they are not for the faint of heart: too many ways to screw it up. I personally don't know them, because I've never been in your situation. It's too bad you didn't do it properly at the start.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Rafael MosesRe: Problem converting a FCP sequence into After Effects
by on Nov 3, 2010 at 3:26:03 am

Dave,

Thank you for responding to my problem. Yes I should have been aware of the pull down issue in the beginning capturing phase. I'm not sure why It did not capture as 23.98 fps automatically. I'll have to be more mindful in the future. However I'm still confused as to why After Effects wont except the sequence with 29.97 fps footage. It looks fine when it plays in FCP which is ultimately all I'm concerned with, it's just aggravating that I can't get it into AE using the Automatic Duck XML export/import procedure. I CAN import the individual clips into AE so I know its not a matter of AE not excepting this type of footage. Any last ideas?

Recapturing and editing is out the question so if I cant get it into after effects I'll just do my color correction in FCP or Color.

Sincerely,

Rafael Moses

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Problem converting a FCP sequence into After Effects
by on Nov 3, 2010 at 9:56:26 pm

[Rafael Moses] "Any last ideas?"

Since the error message asked for field order, you can give it one: lower field first. Be warned: if The Duck does indeed remove the pulldown and bring the footage in properly as 23.976, you will have to search for gaps between the clips.

They won't be easy to find. Fortunately, I believe The Duck gives you trim handles, so you should be able to close the gaps.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Rafael MosesRe: Problem converting a FCP sequence into After Effects
by on Nov 3, 2010 at 3:26:32 am

Dave,

Thank you for responding to my problem. Yes I should have been aware of the pull down issue in the beginning capturing phase. I'm not sure why It did not capture as 23.98 fps automatically. I'll have to be more mindful in the future. However I'm still confused as to why After Effects wont except the sequence with 29.97 fps footage. It looks fine when it plays in FCP which is ultimately all I'm concerned with, it's just aggravating that I can't get it into AE using the Automatic Duck XML export/import procedure. I CAN import the individual clips into AE so I know its not a matter of AE not excepting this type of footage.

Sincerely,

Rafael Moses

Return to posts index

Kevin MonahanRe: Problem converting a FCP sequence into After Effects
by on Nov 3, 2010 at 10:12:36 pm

Are you working with CS4 or CS5?

Kevin Monahan
Sr. Content and Community Lead
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Systems, Inc.
Follow Me on Twitter!