ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

After Effects on imac5? possible?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John YoungAfter Effects on imac5? possible?
by on Nov 2, 2010 at 12:24:39 pm

Hi everyone,
I have Final Cut Studio on my imac5. It works fine. I have even used Motion a little.
But I want to make the jump to Adobe Production Premium CS5, mostly because After Effects really sets Adobe apart from the Apple software. I use Premiere and After Effects CS3 at work and really like the workflow.
Problem is I don't have enough money now to upgrade the software and get a bigger better computer
Has anyone done this on an imac?
I have a 32 bit system. Which I think could be a problem, but the Abode site says "The lack of 32-bit support does not affect the majority of Mac computers that use Intel processors. The only Mac users affected by the lack of 32-bit support are those who have Intel based Mac computers with Intel Coreā„¢ Duo (single-core) processors. Mac OS X Leopard and Snow Leopard are already 64-bit capable and ready to use additional memory. All you need to do is add more RAM to start seeing the benefits of native 64-bit operating system support in After Effects CS5 and Adobe Premiere Pro CS5."

I have a Intel Core 2 Duo with 1 processor, total number of cores is 2.

Also was wondering if anyone has tried to upgrade imac RAM.
As always, thanks, CC is a big help.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: After Effects on imac5? possible?
by on Nov 2, 2010 at 1:23:22 pm

As you mentioned, you have a Core 2 Duo, so you should be ok, but performance will not be stellar on an old iMac. AE really shines with multiple cores and lots of RAM.

You should be able to max out your RAM without spending too much. Check out Other World Computing.

You could also download the After Effects trial and give it a spin on your system.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: After Effects on imac5? possible?
by on Nov 2, 2010 at 8:27:16 pm

[John Young] "I have a 32 bit system. Which I think could be a problem...."

Yes indeed, it is a problem. AE 10 (aka CS5) is a 64-bit application, and to use it, you'll need to upgrade to a 64-bit OS.

Once you've done that, you can use the CS5 applications. Listen to Walter's advice.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved