ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

bot pattern transition

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Sonesbot pattern transition
by on Nov 1, 2010 at 11:03:41 am

Does anyone know how i could achieve this pattern as a transition?

I'm using CS3 and the closest effect to what i want is CC grid wipe, however the dots for this are only available as squares.

Ideally i want the dots to get bigger sequentially from one side to another to form a solid block colour.(Happy for any alternative ideas if anyone can think of a work around)

Thanks in advance,

Andrew Sones

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: bot pattern transition
by on Nov 1, 2010 at 6:28:14 pm

In Photoshop, create a file that's the same size and aspect ratio of your AE project.
Create a gradient. Apply the halftone filter to ge tthat dots look. Save it.
Import it into AE.
Put it in a precomp.
In that precomp add a new layer and add a ramp (gradient) to it. Lower the opacity of the ramp somewhat (you'll need to experiment to find the right number).
In your main comp use that precomp to drive a Gradient Wipe transition effect.
See if that gets you headed in the right direction.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: bot pattern transition
by on Nov 1, 2010 at 11:08:37 pm

if you wanted to effect the size of the dots to create the transition, then you'll really need to build this by hand (barring finding a third-party effect).

one way you could build it by hand would be to create a shape layer that is a circle... the size doesn't matter too much, but i'd try to make it approximately the size you'd like it to be just before it would start touching the circles around it as it expands.

in the shape transform properties (not to be confused by the layer transform properties; it will probably be called transform: ellipse 1), animate the scale property from 0 to 200% over a second or two (it won't matter too much, you'll use time-remapping later). and position the circle in the upper left corner.

then add a repeater (click 'add>repeater' to the right of the contents property for the shape layer). change the transform>repeater 1>position property to x=0, and y to the vertical spacing that you want, and set the 'copies' to a value that fills the screen vertically.

you should have a column of circles that expand over a second or two. now you can quickly duplicate out as many columns as you need to fill the screen horizontally (the spacing would probably be about the same as the vertical offset used in the repeater property). select all the layers and choose animation>keyframe assistant>sequence layers and choose to overlap the layers by a value that staggers the inpoints by a frame or two (or you could do this manually by sliding them in the timeline).

now you should have the wipe effect you are looking for but with just circles... you can now take that comp into another comp and use it as a trackmatte for another layer to have it wipe on or off. if needed, you can use time re-mapping to adjust the timing for the wipe, just select the dot wipe layer and choose layer>time>enable time remapping and adjust the keyframes and in/out points as needed.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved