ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Textanimation over Mask / Cutting Out Text

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lisa Schmölzer
Textanimation over Mask / Cutting Out Text
on Oct 31, 2010 at 8:39:17 pm

Hi,

I'm currently facing a challenge and I just can't come up with an idea how to solve it.

What I'm trying to do is that I have a large text area filled with some random text. My aim is to first cut out an area of this text field and then animate the remaining parts of the text using some text animation making the letters fall down.

The problem is that if I first cut out parts of my text using a normal mask, the falling letters will disappear behind the mask, which is not acctually what I'm trying to do.

Does anybody have an idea how I can solve this problem. I just can't come up with a concept.
Or is there any possibility to completely delete the masked text in order to delete the mask as well before starting the animation.

Greets, Lisa

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Textanimation over Mask / Cutting Out Text
on Nov 1, 2010 at 2:22:23 pm

Use multiple layers of text.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Lisa Ganseblume
on Nov 1, 2010 at 2:37:03 pm

I am trying to do that.
The Problem is that I'm talking about kind of a huge text area filled with random text which makes up the background. A complex form is masked out of this area and the background than breaks down, letting the letters drop individually also over the masked area, where they are - logically - invisible.
This means that I either have to tell the text animation to ignore the mask or I have to find a way to really cut out (and not only hide by a mask) this form, whithout actually making the text editable as this would be to much for my macbook to handle and I think text animations won't work after that any more.
Thanks anyway!
Greez, Lisa

Return to posts index

Michael Rosen
on Nov 1, 2010 at 5:41:03 pm

Seems to me that I would essentially forget about using text-animation....at least for the letters that get sliced.....then, prepare the cut in photoshop with layers and animate from there so the letters can fall over the whole.

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Nov 1, 2010 at 8:19:35 pm

If you're using text animators then you already have an easy way to exclude specific text out of your large field.

You'll need at least 2 range selectors, one to select ALL of the text and the other to 'subtract' the text you don't want affected from that selection. These options are accessible under each Range Selector's Advanced tab. I would recommend also changing the 'subtract' selector to the 'Index' unit type instead of 'Percentage' this will allow you to more accurately select whole characters (or words if you change the 'based on' field to words) you want to exclude from the animation.

My suggestion would be to create your 'falling' text animator first without worrying about the text you don't want affected, then apply an additional range selector set to the 'subtract' mode as a last step to hold out the text you don't want affected.

From the animation goal you've described, a text animator is definitely the fastest way to achieve this and masks are not required.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Lisa Ganseblume
on Nov 2, 2010 at 10:55:29 am

Hi,
The Range Selector doesn't work as the form I'm talking about is way to complex.
The only way to do it would probably be to really slice it up which is not worth it because the animation happens so fast, you can hardly see it and it would take ages to slice up such a long text.
I think I'm just going to leave it the way it is.
Thanks anyway for all the comments!
Greets, Lisa

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]