ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Changing circle size, whilst maintaing pixel width

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jack SewellChanging circle size, whilst maintaing pixel width
by on Oct 30, 2010 at 6:26:09 pm

Hi all,

I can't get into the specifics of this project as the person I'm working with wants to keep it under wraps. It involves the animation of some basic shapes.

We're wondering if there is any way to animate the size of a circle whilst maintaing it's pixel width.

So the circle gets smaller and larger but it's width doesn't change.

I know it's a weird one! :)
Any ideas?!

Many thanks,
Jack

Return to posts index

Adriano MoraesRe: Changing circle size, whilst maintaing pixel width
by on Oct 30, 2010 at 7:47:43 pm

It´s weird but I think I got it. Correct if I´m wrong please.

You want the circle to appear to be changing size, but actually it´s not.
i.e. you see the circle smaller and bigger but if you check the scale it´s still 100% on both moments.

Is that it?

If it is I guess I would try something like turning the cirlce layer 3D and animating it´s Z axis. If the circle is not on the center of the main comp I would precomp it first. Put it on the center of the precomp and moving the precomp around the main comp.

Sorry if I made it more confusing but I just thought that....

Hope it helps.

Cheers.

ninguem
////http://cargocollective.com/ninguem/

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Changing circle size, whilst maintaing pixel width
by on Oct 30, 2010 at 9:25:48 pm

The Radio Waves effect will do the job for you.

HTH
RoRK

AE Training in South East Asia. AE templates for sale and rental. Click here for more

Return to posts index

Jack SewellRe: Changing circle size, whilst maintaing pixel width
by on Oct 30, 2010 at 10:13:02 pm

That does what I want. Except I need a standalone shape which I can animate to audio. Like a normal PNG of a circle made a PS, which behaves like the radio waves effect in terms of it's pixel width of scale.

Are you with me? :)

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Changing circle size, whilst maintaing pixel width
by on Oct 31, 2010 at 1:52:21 am

The Ellipse effect should work BUT instead of animating Scale, you would animate the Ellipse's Width & Height parameters. To ensure a perfect circle, create an Expression with the pickwhip; from one of the aforementioned properties to the other. When linking your audio for the scaling effect you want to achieve, ensure that you link your audio property to whichever of Width and Height that doesn't have the Expression you created as per above.

HTH
RoRK

AE Training in South East Asia. AE templates for sale and rental. Click here for more

Return to posts index

Darby EdelenRe: Changing circle size, whilst maintaing pixel width
by on Nov 1, 2010 at 9:02:02 pm

Have you considered using a shape layer?

You can create an ellipse path, animate it's size and apply a stroke to the path. The stroke will not change width if you adjust the size of the path (as opposed to the scale of the 'Contents' or the layer).

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Jack SewellRe: Changing circle size, whilst maintaing pixel width
by on Nov 3, 2010 at 10:31:36 am

This sounds interesting!

However, all the ways in which I can find to adjust the shape layer size, do effect the stroke size.

Can I ask which parameter you are adjusting exactly? Also there are no variables in the drop down menus of the layer. There is a section called path, but without variables I'm not sure how to animate it.

Sorry, if I'm being a bit stupid regarding this. I'm new to shape layers! :)

Many thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]