ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Inside "Helicopter" flyby

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt BolligerInside "Helicopter" flyby
by on Oct 30, 2010 at 2:19:34 am

Hey guys, im using After Effects CS5 and what im trying to do is show a semi-complex scene of an operation (planes landing, lots of vehicles/people walking around)from perspective of someone in a helicopter passenger seat.

What I already have is footage of a camera panning from right to left, its a straight pan with no turning and is passes a another helicopter landing as well as a few people walking. In addition to that I have a semi-panoramic view of the inside of the "chopper" (this is all filmed with the game Halo: Reach).

Heres the picture of the inside of the helicopter (its kinda a jet/chopper hybrid:
The white space is transparent.

What I want is for the camera to be looking at only part of the inside and you see some of the background footage, but when you pass a landing helicopter you get the illusion of someone turning and looking while inside the chopper to watch the other chopper land as it exits the view. To give the illusion of the looking/turning I just keyframed the position of the inside view over a bit, of course this looks terrible. I need some pointers.

To narrow it down: How can I get a realistic looking view of another scene from inside a helicopter (the view that I provided) that gives the illusion of someone turning their head to see another event as that event exits the view.

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Inside "Helicopter" flyby
by on Oct 30, 2010 at 3:09:44 pm

What you have is a single image which the AE camera sees as a single plane. For a more realistic head turn effect, you will have to splice up the image into different planes, make each spliced plane a 3D layer, then piece them together in AE's 3D space.

Excluding the seats and other gadgets, you will need 5 slices from the image you provided - one for each of the sides present in the image.

Then place your camera within this 3D environment you've created and perhaps just use the camera's POI to perform your head turns.

AE Training in South East Asia. AE templates for sale and rental. Click here for more

Return to posts index

Chris ButtacoliRe: Inside "Helicopter" flyby
by on Oct 30, 2010 at 4:58:14 pm

Not exactly what you're after, but very similar:

It's the BaryonicMatter entry from VFXTalk series 3 challenge. Check out the work in progress page for possible ideas.

Return to posts index

Matt BolligerRe: Inside "Helicopter" flyby
by on Oct 30, 2010 at 9:29:00 pm

I really like the idea of the 3d space, and Chris I suppose thats pretty close, i'll have to check it out to see if I can get some helpful info out of it.

Thank you both.

-1? sadface =[

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved