ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Confusion over MPEG2 Codec / GOP settings

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alejandro DiazConfusion over MPEG2 Codec / GOP settings
by on Oct 28, 2010 at 5:43:39 pm

I have been doing a bit of AE work here and there, but it has mostly been for web use, or as a supplement to flash projects for small elements. One of the animations I did though I have to prepare to send as something that will be broadcast (this particular project was done in a format that will work for 720p), but I am having some confusion about the process and some of the settings, and hoping people with a bit more experience (possibly everyone here ;) ) can point me in the right direction. I have been searching for an answer on this and so far not much luck.

Here is a bit of info: running AE CS5 on OSX 10.6

i was given the following requirements for the file:
File Wrapper: MPG
Max res: 1920x1080i 29.97
Compression Codec: MPEG2 [4:2:0 GOP of 15]
Bitrate: 35Mb/s 8-bit
Audio: PCM 16, 20 or 24 Bit 48KHz sample Rate
Audio Level: -20 fsd

My biggest problem right now is with the codec settings. I can't for the life of me find those setting in either AE nor Premiere. The closest I can find are the following settings:
GOP settings:
M Frames: 4
N Frames: 12
Closed GOP every: 8

Now here is where obviously my 'noobness' comes shinning through as I am not particularly clear on what these settings do, or how they relate to the whole 4:2:0 / GOP of 15. Any help would be greatly appreciated in understanding what is going on and what would be my best bet here to be able to produce a file that will be acceptable.

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Andy GeorgeRe: Confusion over MPEG2 Codec / GOP settings
by on Oct 28, 2010 at 5:53:17 pm

Render lossless from AE and then take it into Adobe Media Encoder.
You should find all of the appropriate GOP settings under video>GOP Settings.

-Andy George
Senior Editor

Return to posts index

Andy GeorgeRe: Confusion over MPEG2 Codec / GOP settings
by on Oct 28, 2010 at 6:01:34 pm

Oops. Read to fast. Those are the same settings you already found.
So what you want to know is how to create a [4:2:0 GOP of 15] using the
GOP settings listed. Hopefully someone smarter than me on compression issues can chime in and answer that.

Regardless, AE does a poor job as a compression tool. Rendering lossless out of AE and taking it into Media encoder is going to give you a cleaner final output.

-Andy George
Senior Editor

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Confusion over MPEG2 Codec / GOP settings
by on Oct 28, 2010 at 5:59:18 pm

Sorry, but I think you're going to need additional software.

First thing: DO NOT make an mpeg2 file in AE. It simply can't compress it well. Render in an uncompressed or lossless codec, and use something else for the conversion.

Second thing: I don't know if any compression software you have can make a 35 Mb/s mpeg2 file. Most of the time, their mpeg2 compression is for DVD, which has a MUCH lower bitrate: 7Mb/s maximum. You'd have to check your compression software.

Which brings me to the issue of additional software. Telestream's Episode Pro is perfectly capable of doing what you seek:

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Craig RussillRoyRe: Confusion over MPEG2 Codec / GOP settings
by on Oct 29, 2010 at 5:29:11 am

Hi guys sounds to me as a DG setting for tvc distribution - adobe media encoder is your friend here

You can try a test name the sequence and close ae - open media encoder and import ae sequence select your comp - now open the mpeg2 template.

Fyi ntsc gop for long gop is 15 and pal is 12

When I get into work I can make up a template that you can import into ame for future ?

Hope this helps - btw ame is the only other software that is free that can also do 422

I do prefer telestream products for this service - if you are going to do this often invest in episode pro from telestream

Return to posts index

Alejandro DiazRe: Confusion over MPEG2 Codec / GOP settings
by on Oct 29, 2010 at 2:35:51 pm

Thank you all for your replies!

Well, as of right now the volume of work for this kind of distribution seems like it will be limited, so we might just have someone do the encode for us from my uncompressed/lossless sequence to make sure everything is right, but I still want to learn (and understand) how to, and what is going on, and if we end up doing more of this type of delivery, possibly purchase a license for the software you have recommended.
Until now I haven't had to worry since most of it has been usually just smaller videos that are placed on a website or as part of a presentation, so a LOT of flexibility regarding output files.

Craig, that been said, I still would be interested in that template, as I mentioned, really interested in understanding all of this, so the more I play around and see the various results and see what people are doing, etc, the better I will be down the road.

Thanks once again!

Return to posts index

Craig RussillRoyRe: Confusion over MPEG2 Codec / GOP settings
by on Oct 29, 2010 at 4:41:01 pm

No worries

Here is the link - created in CS5 hope it helps !'>

hope it helps !

London, England

Mac Pro - 8gig ram - FCS 3 - CS4 - Cinema 4D, Flip Factory, Rhozet, Episode

Return to posts index

Alejandro DiazRe: Confusion over MPEG2 Codec / GOP settings
by on Nov 1, 2010 at 3:41:30 pm

Thanks once again!

Return to posts index

Scott HutchinsRe: Confusion over MPEG2 Codec / GOP settings
by on Apr 17, 2013 at 3:25:09 pm

I work as an inhouse editor delivering PAL commercials in the UK, I'm having slight brain melt trying to export an HD master 1920x1080 uncompressed quicktime (edited and finished out of house), as a 720x576 16:9FHA mpeg2 from Adobe Media Encoder CS6 to match adstream's preferred delivery spec, this appeared to be the most relevant section to post this so I hope this is ok! (first time poster long time reader etc etc).

I can't seem to find a true anamorphic setting in media encoder. It appears the only way I can deliver is export the HD from FCP7 with a photo-jpeg codec at PAL SD resolution and it'll resize ok, but I think the quality is poor. Or resize to 1024x576 in after effects, bring in to FCP, clock and export with photo-jpeg codec, which is accepted by adstream and was part of my handover from the previous editor (haven;t had any problems with that so far)

When I see the TVC on telly it doesn't appear as high in quality as the other TVC's preceding and following it, and I thought if I could just clock the 1920x1080 uncompressed file in FCP, export uncompressed 1920x1080, bring in to encoder, export at the preferred adstream format (mpeg2 program stream, 625/50 PAL, 50Mbps CBR I frame only, 422P@ML, 4:2:2, 720x576, upper field first, mpeg audio layer-2, 384kbps, 48khz, stereo) it might look much much better when viewed in the home on a pretty standard widescreen TV. I was also a bit concerned about the 'stretch to fit' option in encoder, if I can find a way of creating the correct PAR then I was then worried that by then using 'stretch to fill' to fill the dimensions then the image won't stretch horizontally when shown on a widescreen TV and everyone will have eggs for heads. Cutting off part of the image using scale to fit wouldn't go down well with my superiors.

I know adstream employees frequent this forum, and they all seem nice as pie so I was really hoping one of them might pick this up. I've tried contacting adstream directly but all I can do is send in trial runs for QC and wait for an email to say its failed, eek.

Sorry for the epic message!! If i've missed some important info please just say, i'm very very new to posting questions in forums. Thanks in advance!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved