ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

GAMMA CLAMP exporting TGAs from AE.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Whishaw
GAMMA CLAMP exporting TGAs from AE.
on Oct 28, 2010 at 12:38:01 am

I am creating sequences in AE made from TGA files. The TGA files start off being quite light. Viewing them in the AE timeline the appear dark.

If I export a sequence as Apple Pro Res 422, the image stays quite dark. If I export as an Animation, the image retains the Gamma of the original TGA file.

How the hell can I export a Pro Res 422 HQ clip from AE and maintain the Gamma of the original file. There was a long post similar to this where people were trying to export DVCpro but no one had a solution.

It would be awesome if I could get ProRES out of AE. It would cut down render time by hours.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: GAMMA CLAMP exporting TGAs from AE.
on Oct 28, 2010 at 4:25:40 am

Are you using color management?

[Paul Whishaw] "If I export a sequence as Apple Pro Res 422, the image stays quite dark. If I export as an Animation, the image retains the Gamma of the original TGA file."

ProRes 422 is interpreted with the Rec. 709 color profile. TGA and Animation just represent raw RGB values with no color profile, so there's no way of knowing from the file how the colors were intended to be seen, and there's no guarantee that the colors will remain true or consistent across different display devices.

You should be able to render to ProRes without a gamma shift by setting your project working space to Rec. 709, and interpreting your TGA sequence footage with whatever color profile it was intended to be used with.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]