ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

smoke from a chimney

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ellen Osbornesmoke from a chimney
by on Oct 27, 2010 at 9:29:39 pm

Hi,
I'm looking for some help on making chimney smoke. I'd like to make the smoke coming out of a chimney slowly drifti to the right side of the screen in a natural undulating way. I created a stream of smoke using CC Particle World and Radial fast blur that looks okay, but I can't figure out how to make it blow gradually to the the right in the curvy wavy way that smoke drifts. Can anyone help me or point me to a tutorial? I don't have any of the 3rd party plugins for AE, so I'd love to be able to do this with what come stock in AE CS5.
Thanks. Ellen

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: smoke from a chimney
by on Oct 28, 2010 at 7:12:52 am

Use puppet tool- I remember a tutorial that described how to make a wind tunnel using particles and puppet tool, try searching the cow for that and use the same technique.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior Compositor/VFX Artist

Return to posts index

ellen OsborneRe: smoke from a chimney
by on Oct 28, 2010 at 1:32:46 pm

Thanks. I'll see what I can find. I did try a couple of other warp things like DE Freeform, but it didn't really work the way I wanted.

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: smoke from a chimney
by on Oct 28, 2010 at 2:04:24 pm

Try using particle playground and some layer maps, they can affect position.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

Return to posts index

Eddy RoseRe: smoke from a chimney
by on Oct 28, 2010 at 2:39:15 pm

I've been where you've been and if you want realistic, manipulable, silky smoke (not puffy smoke) you're going to have to bite the bullet and dl particular. There's no way around it, at least in my searching. If you decide to download it just do this and add some wind.

http://ae.tutsplus.com/tutorials/vfx/put-out-realistic-candle-smoke/?utm_so...

Yup, wind is actually an option in the particular settings. Awesome right?

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: smoke from a chimney
by on Oct 29, 2010 at 1:09:20 pm

Another vote for Particular. Like Eddy said, it makes the physics easy, and the new self-shadowing feature is perfect for smoke.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: smoke from a chimney
by on Oct 28, 2010 at 11:09:45 pm

Played with this some more using particle playground(comes with AE) with these results(I can't get it to play in this post, but if you click the chimney smoke link it plays):

Chimmney Smoke

Here are the settings, can't see it, but I used wiggle on the particles per second "wiggle(4,40)---Main Comp:
particles.jpg

Wind Controller: windcontroller.jpg

Johnny Cuevas, Editor

Return to posts index

ellen OsborneRe: smoke from a chimney
by on Oct 29, 2010 at 6:12:07 pm

Well I can't afford particular right now, so I'm going to give John's idea a try. Thanks John. I prefer the smoke to go a little slower, but I've already got that part figured out. I've never used layer maps, but I'm sure I can find a tutorial somewhere.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]