ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

scaled text layer problem

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas Livings
scaled text layer problem
on Oct 27, 2010 at 4:07:34 pm

I have a bit of a puzzler in AE and thought I'd ask some one who knows. I have some text layers that I scaled, instead of changing the font size. I need to copy the masks from these layers and paste them onto a different layer, but because of the scaling the pasted masks are the wrong size...
Is there any way to copy/paste that ignores the scale adjustment, or a way to set the current scale to be interpreted as 100%?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: scaled text layer problem
on Oct 27, 2010 at 4:24:43 pm

[Thomas Livings] "I have some text layers that I scaled, instead of changing the font size. I need to copy the masks from these layers and paste them onto a different layer..."

I don't understand how you put masks on a text layer. You can't mask a text layer, as far as I know.

Why don't you simply duplicate the text layers in question? They're then at the same scale.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Thomas Livings
on Oct 27, 2010 at 4:47:11 pm

Thanks Dave. I created the original text as a placeholder until I received the font from the client. I now have the font, but instead of delivering it as a font they gave me an illustrator file. Ive brought that in ok, but like I said, the disparity between scales means the masks from the original text layer dont work.
I think Ill have to grit my teeth and make the masks again. AE is not my forte...
Its a 'mask path' thats on the text.

Return to posts index

Adriano Moraes
on Oct 27, 2010 at 4:59:37 pm

Are the masks completly outta proportion or just the wrong size when compared to the new text?

Did you try selecting the masks and pressing CTRL+T and adjusting them?

It might work.

Hope it helps.

Cheers.

ninguem
////http://cargocollective.com/ninguem/

Return to posts index

Thomas Livings
on Oct 27, 2010 at 5:10:08 pm

Just the wrong size. The text was scaled to 393%. However, I dont know how to ctl+t and adjust to a percentage. In PS you have the numerical inputs, ctl+t gives you handles to perform the adjustment, but no way to do it accurately. Or am I missing something?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 27, 2010 at 5:11:46 pm

Don't fool with masks. Just import the Illustrator document as a comp, and use the resulting layer(s) as layer(s) in your comp. If you need to, you can use the Fill effect to change the text color.

It's a lot easier to scale a layer than it is to mess around with masks...

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Thomas Livings
on Oct 27, 2010 at 5:44:57 pm

Thanks Dave, I just redrew the masks. It a bit more elaborate than just color , it appears from a plume of smoke, so the reveal has to be masked to match the smoke. Masking smoke is a bitch!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]