ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

4k codec

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gary Roales
4k codec
on Oct 27, 2010 at 11:32:28 am

Hi all,

I am very new to motion graphics and video editing but, I can already do some pretty cool animation on After Effects (huge thanks to Andrew Kramer). It is the technical aspect of rendering that is where I go dumb.

I am already shortlisted in a company I am applying for which deals with motion advertisements. They have given me a second task to make another animated video test in 4k codec. I am done creating the 15 seconds video in After Effects at 3840x1440 at 29.97pfs and currently rendering it as uncompressed avi.

My question is how do I make it into 4k codec in after effects? If it cannot be done in after effects, what other software I need to use? I have Adobe Encore CS4 and Premiere Pro CS4. I don't know if they can be of any use in making 4k as I am totally a newbie and still learning the craft by myself. I really need to impress the company and they require me to do the movie test in 4K codec at 3840x1440.

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Andy George
Re: 4k codec
on Oct 27, 2010 at 4:32:04 pm

Forgive me If im stating the obvious but it was a bit unclear in your post.

4K is not a codec it is a shorthand reference for the size of the image. (4096x2160)
2K would be around 2048x1080.

The most popular codec for these types of image sizes is probably Cineon/DPX. Tiff and openEXR are also common.

Rather than guess at what codec to use it might be easier to ask them what codec they can accept. This is the type of information that should come from the client.

-Andy George
Senior Editor
http://www.chiselindustries.com

Return to posts index

Gary Roales
on Oct 27, 2010 at 5:17:01 pm

Thanks Andy.

Obviously I am so dumb at this :) and so I really need a helping hand in here. I am done rendering the animation in an uncompressed avi and as expected the size is huge (more than 6Gb) for a 15 seconds animation. I need to bring it down to an acceptable level of compression in HD.

I know I may probably be shooting a vague question here but this is the only thing I got from my prospective employer:

'We want you to do a 2x3 configuration of the attached screens in landscape(2high x 3wide). This video wall solution will support 4K codec at 1280x3 and 720x2 or 3840x1440'

I would appreciate any recommendation you could provide. Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 27, 2010 at 5:29:01 pm

[Gary Roales] "...this is the only thing I got from my prospective employer:

'We want you to do a 2x3 configuration of the attached screens in landscape(2high x 3wide). This video wall solution will support 4K codec at 1280x3 and 720x2 or 3840x1440'"

Your perspective employer is either pulling your leg, testing you or is ignorant. To my knowledge, there ain't no such thing as a "4k codec".

I recommend emailing back something like, "I'll be glad to do as you instruct, but I don't have access to the codec you want me to use. Would you be so kind as to provide me with the appropriate installer for (Quicktime / AVI) on a (Macintosh / Windows system)."

When they contact you that they don't know, you can ask clarifying questions about what they really need.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Gary Roales
on Oct 27, 2010 at 5:52:03 pm

That's exactly what I am planning to do. No wonder I couldn't find any useful discussion on the web pertaining how to do 4k codec or 4k encoding.

Thank you Dave and Andy. You guys have been great! I feel very much relieved now knowing that what I have been looking for doesn't really exist. :).

Cheers!

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Oct 27, 2010 at 7:22:45 pm

If you plan on buying a codec, watch out for the size limits. eg. Cineform's neoscene and hd are not 2k or 4k (there're spatial resolution locked)

I'd seriously consider making sure I work in at least a 444 10bit output too and color management.

Andy is right, Cineon/DPX. Tiff and openEXR. just make sure tiff and openexr are at least 16bit trillions(they could be float if working with film prints). DPX's run in trillions log.

http://technicolorsoftware.hostzi.com/

Return to posts index

Danny Hays
on Oct 28, 2010 at 3:08:14 am

I believe 4K files are Frame sequences with .DPX, targa files, not streaming video. They show up as a folder with these type of pictures with a Wave file and a file that tells the editing or playback program what to do with those pics. DVX is a very high end server that uses 2K and 4K in these formats. Sony Vegas Pro 9 and 10 support 2K and 4K.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]