Rendering for a six screen wall and Brightsign palyer

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dez Hernandez
Rendering for a six screen wall and Brightsign palyer
on Oct 26, 2010 at 4:57:22 pm

Hey guys.
I can really use some help.

I created motion graphics for a six NEC monitors side by side.
I wanted it to be crisp so I worked in a high res. (5120 x 720).
Now I need to render it for playback, but I am limited
They are using one Brightsign HD210 player lined to the screens.
This gives me a limit of 1920x1080 playback, but I need the file to stretch.
The other problem is The file has to be mpeg2 Transport Stream.

I have tried so many option, but I get pre-render errors such as transcode does not match, etc.

Does anyone know how I should set up my render to make this work?

I am on Adobe CS 4

Thanks!!!!

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: Rendering for a six screen wall and Brightsign palyer
on Oct 26, 2010 at 6:39:36 pm

you still need to know how the player handles the apparent frame aspect mismatch...

if the screens are lined up to create a 5120x720 frame, but the player is playing a 1920x1080 file, does the player crop the top and bottom, or is it going to distort (stretch) the file's frame to fit the screens.

if it is going to crop the top and bottom, just drop your current comp into a 1920x1080 comp and choose layer>transform>fit comp width. if it's going to stretch it, choose layer>transform>fit to comp.

as far as the mpeg2 transport stream, you'll want to do that compression post-render using a compression utility (apple's compressor, adobe's media encoder, maybe mpeg-streamclip, etc...) anything that will do multi-pass encoding and mpeg-2. but you should know more about the mpeg ts. data rate is a good thing to know. also variable or constant bit rate. knowing the ts container would be good to (.ts, .m2t, .mpg, etc...).

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 26, 2010 at 7:29:25 pm

[Dez Hernandez] "I created motion graphics for a six NEC monitors side by side. I wanted it to be crisp so I worked in a high res. (5120 x 720)."

Are you sure your calculations are correct? I think your aspect ratio may be off.

Six side-by-side 16:9 720p monitors would be 7680x720; your resolution of 5120x720 will only span four 720p monitors. Six side-by-side 4:3 monitors would be 5760x720; your resolution will only a little over five 4:3 monitors. None of these figures account for screen bezels or space between monitors.

[Dez Hernandez] "Now I need to render it for playback, but I am limited. They are using one Brightsign HD210 player lined to the screens. This gives me a limit of 1920x1080 playback, but I need the file to stretch."

How will this 1080 signal be distributed to the monitors? Do they have their own scalers, or is there some distribution system? How do you need to arrange the six "displays" within the 1080 frame: side by side all the way across, or a 3x2 grid?

Brightsigns are cheap, and some models can by synced -- you'd see a HUGE increase in quality if you used one player per display.

You'll also get a big increase in quality with the Brightsigns by wrapping h264 video in an MPEG2 transport stream. You will need to test your workflow, as the Brightsign is pretty particular about its h264 TS support.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Dez Hernandez
on Oct 27, 2010 at 4:10:06 pm

Thanks Walter.
Yes, I am using four screens, and also a six-screen set up. I mixed up my values. Thanks.
Four the six screen, they are using two Brightsign players. My biggest issue is now that I have the stretch render figured out;

What is the best way to render out a 1620x1080 .ts file?

Again, I am using Adobe master production suite. Including After Effects, premiere, and Adobe Media Encoder, but I cannot seem to find a preset or figure out a way to manually set this option. Can anyone give me step by step process to do this please?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 28, 2010 at 4:44:38 am

[Dez Hernandez] "Four the six screen, they are using two Brightsign players."

Out curiosity, I'd still like to know how they handling the splitting and scaling from one Brightsign to two monitors. Ordinarily, a scaler that could do this would cost far more than just getting another Brightsign and going one-to-one -- do the monitors have this capability built-in?

[Dez Hernandez] "I am using Adobe master production suite. Including After Effects, premiere, and Adobe Media Encoder, but I cannot seem to find a preset or figure out a way to manually set this option. Can anyone give me step by step process to do this please?"

Telestream Episode Pro is my preferred compression application. I never use AME, so I don't know if it can do what you need.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Dez Hernandez
on Oct 27, 2010 at 4:13:12 pm

I meant 1920x1080

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>