ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

MP4 or h.264 exports stretched

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Catherine PetersonMP4 or h.264 exports stretched
by on Oct 25, 2010 at 10:41:40 pm

I'm trying to compress a video I created with the dimension of 280X190. It need to be this finished size to fit into a predetermined block size on a web page. I need to compress it to about 50mb, the uncompressed .avi is about 1gb.. When I use .mov it comes out looking correctly proportioned but when using either h.264 or.flv it stretch the video Hor. distorting the video. How do I go about rendering this out in either h.264 or .flv with out getting the distorted stretch out video?

Thanks for your help!

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: MP4 or h.264 exports stretched
by on Oct 26, 2010 at 11:22:44 am

280x190 means a pixel aspect ratio of 1.473684210526316, so unless your original video has that aspect ratio, the final will look distorted. Use Adobe Media Encoder to compress and make sure the PAR is correct.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior Compositor/VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Catherine PetersonRe: MP4 or h.264 exports stretched
by on Oct 26, 2010 at 3:56:03 pm

Thank you for your reply. I'm a newbie at this rendering stuff. So could you please explain how to adjust the PAR. I know the basics of using media encoder only.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: MP4 or h.264 exports stretched
by on Oct 26, 2010 at 4:22:15 pm

[Catherine Peterson] "I'm trying to compress a video I created with the dimension of 280X190."

There are typically a few ways to skin a cat in AE, and here's how I'd do it:
  • Create a new 280x190 comp in square pixels; you'll select that in the new comp's Comp Settings.
  • Add the video to the comp, and scale as needed. You shouldn't have to worry about the pixel aspect ratio of the footage; if it's in the realm of standard video sizes, AE will know how to handle it.
  • Using AE's Render Queue, render in an uncompressed or lossless codec. If you need audio, you'll set that in the Output Module when you choose out the codec.
  • Bring the rendered AE file into Adobe Media Encoder, and select the codec of choice for use on your web site.

AE is NOT good at compressing; that's why you use an uncompressed/lossless codec. Now, there IS a way to render out of AE using Adobe media encoder, but I've never used it... nor would I if the goal is something like H.264.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]