ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

AE7 or CS5

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bernard AllumAE7 or CS5
by on Oct 25, 2010 at 8:45:59 pm

what is the difference between AE7 and CS5 ?
is CS5 the latest version of AE and can it be bought as a seperate item from all the other stuff?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: AE7 or CS5
by on Oct 25, 2010 at 9:33:21 pm

Wow, that was three versions ago. The most recent version, CS5, is more properly called (at least in my mind) AE 10. Well, let's step you through the changes. Here's what was new in AE 8:

Go to "Getting Started", Then "What's New".

Here's the same thing for AE 9:

You may have to follow the same route as you did for AE 8.

And here's the appropriate section for AE 10:

It's easy to find "What's New" on this page.

And I'm almost 100% certain you can buy AE 10 as a standalone piece of software.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: AE7 or CS5
by on Oct 26, 2010 at 11:45:17 pm

There were a ton of features added between AE 7 and CS5 (AE 10).

Quoting Wikipedia's article on After Effects:
  • Version 8: shape layers, puppet tool, brainstorm, clip notes, Photoshop vanishing point import, adaptive motion blur, per character 3D text animation, real-time audio playback, simultaneous multi-frame rendering, SWF vector import, 32-bit linear blending, full color management, first Universal Binary Intel Mac version, Panasonic P2 support
  • Version 9: QuickSearch in the project & timeline, mini-flowchart, breadcrumbs, live PSD 3D layer import, separate XYZ, Imagineer Mocha bundled, cartoon effect, XFL export, XML export, XMP metadata,RED R3D file support (via REDCODE v1.3 plugin), clip-level RED R3D support (via REDCODE v1.7 plugin), XDCAM HD (Avid-style MXF) support
  • Version 10: 64-bit native (mandatory) on OS X and Windows, roto brush tool, refine matte effect, mocha v2, LUT support, AVC-Intra import and improved RED (R3D) support, Align panel improvements, Synthetic Aperture Color Finesse 3, Digieffects FreeForm, auto-keyframe mode, RED updates (color science v2, ROCKET, RMD metadata), improved LUT compatibility (.3dl with floating-point values or 3DMESH/Mesh keywords, or saved from ASSIMILATE SCRATCH systems), updates to bundled third-party plug-ins

One critical note to add: After Effect CS5 requires a 64-bit operating system. You must also update all your plugins to new CS5-compatible versions. None of your current 32-bit plugins will work without an update.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved