ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

32 bit tiff sequence from ae to Avid

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ian McBain32 bit tiff sequence from ae to Avid
by on Oct 25, 2010 at 4:22:18 pm

Hi everybody.
I'm having some trouble ingesting a title sequence I've made.
I made it in AE, and in order to get a certain "glow" effect the way I want it, the AE comp is 32-bit. The glow I want disappears when I drop down to 16 bit.
I am currently rendering the effect out as a tiff sequence, and it contains an alpha channel.
When I import this 1920x1080 TIFF Sequence into Avid (dnxhd 220x), the colour information is done. I guess Avid does not handle 32 bit colour. Is there a way to preserve the look of this AE comp in a 16-bit output?
Thanks in advance.
Ian

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: 32 bit tiff sequence from ae to Avid
by on Oct 25, 2010 at 5:16:52 pm

try keeping the comp at 32bpc but output to a 16 or 8bpc tiff sequence and see how that works in avid. you might even try outputting to dnxhd with alpha and see how that looks.

the idea is that you'll let ae work in 32bpc, so all the calculations are in the expanded 32bpc world, but then it will compress that 32bpc image data to 16 or 8bpc which should retain most of the look... unless you are wanting the glow of the keyed elements (like the softe edges from the glow) to work the same way on video in avid...

if that's the case, you'll need to composite in ae and render the full frame sequence, then import that into avid.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: 32 bit tiff sequence from ae to Avid
by on Oct 25, 2010 at 5:59:58 pm

I'm pretty sure Kevin's idea will work. AE should interpolate a 16bpc tiff render out for you automatically. If you want more control over the look, try hdr compander to compress the hdr image then apply levels 32bpc clip. it should compress the data then finely clip the result.

http://technicolorsoftware.hostzi.com/

Return to posts index

Ian McBainRe: 32 bit tiff sequence from ae to Avid
by on Oct 27, 2010 at 5:11:36 pm

Hi guys,
The desired effect here is a piece of text that "glows" on screen, and then "glows" off. I've used the normal "glow" effect in AE, on an adjustment layer and a dynamic mask that scoots across the text.
No matter what I do, when I render it out, the "glow" is almost non-existant, despite being quite nice in AE.
I've tried straight mattes, tiffs, 8, 16 and 32bpc, targas and on and on, but the effect won't render out.
I am perplexed. My alternative, which I'm going ahead with, is to take the DNXHD video into after effects, do the combination there and render out as DNXHD QTs for re-import into Avid. This is much more time consuming than simply outputting files with alpha channels though!
Ian

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: 32 bit tiff sequence from ae to Avid
by on Oct 27, 2010 at 7:08:09 pm

what happens when you import the rendered 16 bit tiff from a 32bpc project back into AE? I'm guessing avid is the culprit.

http://technicolorsoftware.hostzi.com/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]