ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Pan smoothing in post

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael LansdellPan smoothing in post
by on Oct 25, 2010 at 8:45:15 am

I know that this should really be done by having the proper kit in the first place when out filming, but I'm the editor, not the cameraman. So, what I want to know is, is there software available (a plugin even) that can take a clip and smooth a horizontal pan or even a tilt? If footage can be stabilised when it's all wobbly surely there is something that can track the speed of objects in the frame and smooth them out?

Anyone know of anything?

Especially ones that allow you to ease in to and out of the pan.

Michael Lansdell

Online/Offline Editor

My system:

2 x 3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
512MB ATI Radeon X1900 XT
OS X 10.4.11
Final Cut Pro 6.0.4
After Effects CS4
Blackmagic Design DeckLink HD Extreme (6.6.2)

Take a gander at my personal blog:

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Pan smoothing in post
by on Oct 25, 2010 at 3:41:41 pm

if you want the smoothest motion, you'll want to remove the pan/tile by stabilizing the footage (you can use ae's tracker for that). the re-create the movement with keyframes. i would parent the stabilized footage to a null, then keyframe the null.

once keyframed you can set them to be ease-ease keyframes to ease in and out.

to fill in the edges of the frame, try cc repetile or motion tile to repeat the edges of the frame to lessen how noticeable those are.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: Pan smoothing in post
by on Oct 25, 2010 at 5:39:25 pm

this is the matrix technique. They used interpolation software. This technique works for jumpy pans, tilts, dollies, spins, rotations... and of course stop motion. Here's a more detailed post.

1.Put 29.97i video in new 59.94 "start" comp so that timewarp can access both fields.

2. add effect->time->timewarp speed at 50%, extreme detail on.vector 100

3. make new "output" comp 99 fps and drop "start" comp inside it with timestretch 50%

4. output "output" comp with original fps. It will maintain the same fps but will smooth out any jerky movements.

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: Pan smoothing in post
by on Oct 25, 2010 at 7:24:05 pm

you can try numbers smaller than 50% as long as both timewarp and timestretch get the same number to increase smoothing at the possible expense of quality. Also, once you're done, you can timeremap the final comp with easy ease to slow the beginning and ending of the pan.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved