ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

reflecting tube / telescope?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Krausereflecting tube / telescope?
by on Oct 25, 2010 at 1:05:53 am

Any ideas as to how to make a tubular reflection? The effect I'm trying to get is looking into a telescope and seeing the image in the center reflected slightly on the side walls of the telescope. In other words if you had a shiny chrome pipe and looked into it, that's the effect I'm trying to create.

I've already played with the various CC and Video Copilot reflections- the problem is that a tube isn't really 3D in AE. The closest I've gotten is first creating a flat reflection and then turning that into a tube. But it
s not quite right. Help is appreciated. Thanks in advance. - Jim

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: reflecting tube / telescope?
by on Oct 25, 2010 at 10:05:57 pm

That sounds like a job for a 3D application.

If you use your mind's eye to put... oh, say a rock in a chrome pipe, then look down the pipe, you see the front of the rock, but the reflections appearing on the sides of the pipe are from the sides of the rock.

The problem about doing it in AE: you're pretty much limited to seeing the object from the front, and you could only fake the reflections by shooting side views of this object separately, compositing them into a fake pipe... or one made out of a precomp , then bent into shape using Freeform.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jim KrauseRe: reflecting tube / telescope?
by on Oct 26, 2010 at 2:46:44 am

Thanks for the reply. Yes, it might be something better done in a 3D environment, but it ought to be possible in AE. I've come close. BTW The sides of the object are not important. Think about looking into a telescope at the moon. We can't see the dark side, or beyond the edge- just the image captured by the lens at the end of our scope, which is reflected slightly on the walls of the tube. Best- JK

Jim Krause
tabletop productions
(812) 332-1005

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved