ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Another Grow Bounds question

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kay Winnstean
Another Grow Bounds question
on Oct 24, 2010 at 8:10:46 pm

I have watched the Grow Bounds tutorial and looked in the archives of this forum to answer my question, but unsuccessfully.
I understand that the Grow Bounds effect must be at the top of the stack of my other effects, but how does this apply to a group of compositions that have been pre-composed? Does it matter? I am creating a Spinning Orb and want to scale down the composition over another layer of footage, but am having no luck getting the effect to work.
Thanks.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Another Grow Bounds question
on Oct 25, 2010 at 12:51:05 am

"I am creating a Spinning Orb and want to scale down the composition over another layer of footage, but am having no luck getting the effect to work."

I guess I don't understand how doing that has anything to do with the Grow Bounds effect. Can you elaborate?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kay Winnstean
on Oct 25, 2010 at 1:22:50 am

Yes. When I scale the orb comp down over the footage, you can see the rectangular boundaries of the comp. I want to expand the edges of the orb composition to the edges of the layer beneath.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Oct 25, 2010 at 1:20:35 pm

Grow bounds does not make a composition larger. It merely makes the work area of a layer larger when applying effects (such as Shine) that work on a layer's bounding area.
You will need to make the composition size of your precomp bigger.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Oct 25, 2010 at 2:42:29 pm

you could try using motion tile or cc repetile to increase the layer/precomp size. both those effects will tile the layer they are applied to.

motion tile will just repeat or mirror the layer, repetile has several options for repeating the layer, along with a blend option that will feather the edges to help blend the edges.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Kay Winnstean
on Oct 25, 2010 at 11:52:11 pm

Ah-- that works! Seems obvious now.
Thanks, Mike!

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 26, 2010 at 6:15:26 am

Another option is to enable the Collapse transformations switch for your precomp layer.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]