ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

using movs to spped up a render

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eddy Rose
using movs to spped up a render
on Oct 24, 2010 at 8:03:52 pm

Okay so there's a tiny mistake with a dissolve in my .mov export that took 35 minutes to render. In order to avoid rendering the entire thing all over again, I drop the finished movie in the comp,, cut out a hole where the mistake was and fix it in the layers beneath.

Usually this cuts my render time into nothing. I figure it's cos AE is just rendering an already made movie with a tiny bit of a composition. But this time my render actually took 10 minutes longer, 45 minutes total. WTF!

The only explanation I could come up with is that it took longer cos AE has to render the mov AND the comps beneath it...but that doesn't make sense I've done this trick in so many other projects that would prove otherwise. Maybe render times slow down the longer the program is on? or CS5 is still kinda batty? IDK but it's driving me insane, any explanations appreciated!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: using movs to spped up a render
on Oct 25, 2010 at 12:09:49 am

Well, that's just weird, ma'am.

I don't know why it's happening, but I do have a workaround to propose:
  • Open the comp containing the error.
  • Fix the error.
  • Position the timeline cursor at a logical spot before the fix, and hit the b key.
  • Position the timeline cursor at a logical spot after the fix, and hit the n key. You've just set a Work Area.
  • Add the comp to the AE render Queue.
  • Set it the codecs so you render what you did before.
  • Open the Render Settings, and make sure it's set to render Work Area Only.
  • Hit the Render button after saving the project.

Now you simply have to cut the repaired footage into the bad spot.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Eddy Rose
on Oct 25, 2010 at 3:41:18 pm

Wow, I just facepalmed myself so hard that I think I got a concussion. That is SO much simpler and I totally could've done it from the start! In fact, b and n are some of my favorite hot keys (right up there with u, i & o)

Dunno why I haven't been doing it like that, I guess I subconsciously just wanted to do the whole thing in one render. But this works much better cos now I won't have to risk AE processing the entirety of the layers beneath my movie.

PS: It's been just about a year since you answered my first AE question (and every silly question I've had since) Thanks for all your help Dave! <3 <3 <3!

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Oct 25, 2010 at 2:45:01 pm

did you trim the underlying comps to be only as long as the hole?

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Eddy Rose
on Oct 25, 2010 at 3:33:29 pm

No i didn't trim the beneath layers,, I was under the impression AE didn't process layers not shown on the screen,, was that the issue?

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Oct 25, 2010 at 3:53:03 pm

yep, that was probably the problem. ae will still process stuff even if it is not visible in the frame.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]