ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

3D Mask around 2D Object or: Mask a 3D Object

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Marker3D Mask around 2D Object or: Mask a 3D Object
by on Oct 23, 2010 at 1:48:59 pm

Hey guys,

altough this is my first post here, I read a lot in this forum and I have to say you guys and this entire comunity does great work! Thank you so much!
Now I have a problem, I cant find the answer to:

Remember the HUD-tutorial from andrew kramer where he does this HUD targeting system? Its basically a couple of rings with a wiggle expression on the z-rotation.
I want to use the "target HUD" on a stack of poker chips, because its a very futuristic kind of pokertable that measures the players stack holographically, you know? ;)
I did set up the HUD (couple of rings) and all but when i try to mask out the stack the hud-rings behind the stack are not visible as they shouldnt be so thats alright, but so are the part of the rings that should be in front of the stack too! So what can I do here?
The whole set of rings should be animated later to rise up the stack and dissapear at the very top of the stack...
Any ideas? I really could use your help here...
Here is a picture: Thats how far i´ve come:

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/7209/allinvc.jpg

Thank you so much!

Chris

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: 3D Mask around 2D Object or: Mask a 3D Object
by on Oct 23, 2010 at 8:03:12 pm

How about a sandwich- duplicate your rings layer, put the chips in between (you'll have to roto them), and draw a mask for the front half on the top rings layer, then just copy and invert the same for the bottom.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior Compositor/VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Chris MarkerRe: 3D Mask around 2D Object or: Mask a 3D Object
by on Oct 25, 2010 at 9:57:14 pm

man, didnt see the forest for the trees there...thank you so much ;)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]