ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Creating open captions in AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Luke Cline
Creating open captions in AE
on Oct 22, 2010 at 9:43:39 pm

Hello, and thanks for reading. We are using AE to create open captions for a 5-minute film. We've created separate layers for each line of captioning, set our timings for each caption layer per our sequence, and have 130 layers in total. I'd like to export each of those layers as a PSD with an alpha, then drop all of them into our Final Cut timeline. Where I'm getting stuck is how to make our timings for each caption layer (each PSD) to match where we have it in our AE timeline, so that it fits seamlessly into our Final Cut timeline. Any thoughts, suggestions, advice would be greatly appreciated!

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: Creating open captions in AE
on Oct 22, 2010 at 9:55:40 pm

you wouldn't be able to maintain timing if you are exporting/rendering stills from ae.

if your timing is good in ae, then you'd want to render a video file with an alpha channel that you could then drop into fcp to overlay your timeline.

i would hide the video layer in ae (so you just have your text layers), then add the comp to the render queue (composition>add to render queue). then in the output module, set channels to rgb+alpha and color to straight (unmatted).

this will render lossless animation quicktime movie with an alpha channel that you can import into fcp and should maintain the timing that you had in ae so it should be ready to go (note: fcp will need to 'render' it for realtime playback)

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Luke Cline
Re: Creating open captions in AE
on Oct 25, 2010 at 5:50:04 pm

Thank you Kevin. Much appreciated.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]