ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Time Lapse traffic effect (night)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul WrightTime Lapse traffic effect (night)
by on Oct 22, 2010 at 12:59:57 pm

Hi guys,

would anyone know a good way to do this kind of effect purely in after effects? (You know the one, night time, streaky lines of headlights and tail lights). I have a still of a street scene and would simply like to put this kind of effect on top.

I also have particle illusion so would be happy for advice in that as well ;)

The screen is for a game monitor.

Hopefully someone can help out.

Thanks

Paul

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Time Lapse traffic effect (night)
by on Oct 22, 2010 at 1:22:37 pm

If it's just a still you're better off using Photoshop to do this.
Just build some streaks of color matching the color of the lights, blur them, add glow and play with compositing modes (add, screen...etc)

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior Compositor/VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Paul WrightRe: Time Lapse traffic effect (night)
by on Oct 22, 2010 at 1:44:42 pm

Thanks for getting back so quick.

ah ok, I get you on the photoshop front, but its for a looping video, hence why the after effects query.

Have I missed the point? Or did I not make the point :( Not sure.

Thanks again though. Rapid! :)

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Time Lapse traffic effect (night)
by on Oct 22, 2010 at 2:17:09 pm

Not really sure I get what you're after, but if you want to create light streaks in AE not using Particular (the iPod style light streaks)you need some sort of movement for the light sources, thus footage and not a still. With movement you can use 32bit, glow and frame blending to play around. On a still....? maybe if you animate some dots, precomp and use the above mentioned.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior Compositor/VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Time Lapse traffic effect (night)
by on Oct 22, 2010 at 2:42:23 pm

[Paul Wright] "....night time, streaky lines of headlights and tail lights). I have a still of a street scene and would simply like to put this kind of effect on top... its for a looping video, hence why the after effects query...."

Well, that's going to be difficult to accomplish with a still. The best you can do is just animate some streaks, and if that's all you want, fine.

If you want the things in the picture that PRODUCE these streaks to move -- the headlights, taillights, and just-barely-visible vehicles -- you need MOTION. You need several frames.

You have a single still picture. And by their very definition, still pictures don't move.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Paul WrightRe: Time Lapse traffic effect (night)
by on Oct 22, 2010 at 2:53:06 pm

Sorry guys, me mentioning the still has confused things. The still is a high up skyline where the street is barley visible except for small headlights.

I wanted to layer whatever effect I creted over the top of the still to create the illusion. I think I may have sorted it by creating some streaks with a vegas, then animating a mask over the top as if the car has gone. Then, duplicated the layer, off set it in the timeline and used the liquify tool to make the streaks uneven (as if the car has gone over bumps) added a glow and bobs your uncle. light streaks. Precompose and add as many times as you like.

Thanks for getting back to me guys, it was my mentioning the still confused the issue. And I know that by definition, stills dont move ;)

Paul

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Time Lapse traffic effect (night)
by on Oct 22, 2010 at 3:39:09 pm

if you have footage (and it's a night shot with enough cars to make it work), then you may be able to use a time effect like echo, cc wide time or cc time blend to composite frames on frames, which will start to create motion blur/light streaks as you increase the number of frames that get composited.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]