ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

About to order a new PC

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marten Kopp
About to order a new PC
on Oct 21, 2010 at 4:58:39 pm

Hi,

I am about to buy a new PC for editing and animating. The local shop offers a "video editing" system for a low price (about $1500).

I cant quit remember the complete specs but it's carying a i9 core with 3x2gb ddr3 and a asus (forgot the model type) 1 gig graphic card with Cuda.

What do you guys say about this? Or what would you take if you have a medium budget (up to $2500)?

Any tips appreciated.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: About to order a new PC
on Oct 21, 2010 at 5:16:04 pm

Here are some crucial questions:
  • What's the target audience for your work? Who's going to watch what you put out?
  • How will they watch your work?
  • Will this audience change in the near future?
  • HD or SD?
  • Since you don't say, what software do you intend to run?

You give us straight answers, and we'll give you straight answers.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Oct 21, 2010 at 6:15:42 pm

I agree with Dave; we will need a lot more info.
Exact specs of the machine, what software you intend to use, how fast of a turnaround you'll need, and all the questions Dave asked.

I'm going to guess that, at the very least, you want to run AE since you're posting this in the AE forum.
6GB of RAM is nowhere near enough for AE work anymore.
Also, unless you're using a certain few third-party plugins, CUDA means nothing for AE use.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Marten Kopp
on Oct 21, 2010 at 7:47:39 pm

Excuse me. Kind of dumb not to post any more info.

I am using After Effects everyday since I am a Motion graphic designer. I also use Photoshop, Illustrator and Premiere Pro.

I want to buy Cinema 4d and Vue. So I pretty much need a system whitch can handle these applications.

My audiance is very different. But since I bought a 7D 2 weeks ago I am planning to deliver HD in the near future.

So my question is:
What does it take to create nice stuff in After Effects and put it in Premiere to edit inside an AVCHD envirement. Later on I need to add some Vue scenes with Cinema 4D models.

I can understand if you guys cant follow my story, my English isnt that good, sorry.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Oct 21, 2010 at 10:13:27 pm

If you're planning to do HD video in Premiere than make sure your graphics card is one of the ones supported for the Mercury Playback Engine (list is on Adobe's website). Also, consider getting a RAID setup.
If you're planning to do 3d work, make sure your graphics card is supported by Cinema 4d. Also, get a powerful processor. I don't have enough experience with Cinema 4d yet to make any sort of suggestions for processor or graphics card. I just started learning it recently.
If you're planning to work in AE, get a lot more RAM. You want AT MINIMUM 2 GB per core of your processor - preferably more. Also, get a powerful processor.

- The Great Szalam

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 21, 2010 at 10:27:03 pm

I'm sorry to say this, but you can't come CLOSE to getting the machine you need for under $2500 US.

I'm getting a new computer for home. I'll use it primarily for AE work (CS5), plus a little work in other applications like Premiere, Photoshop, Illustrator and Soundbooth (CS4). It sounds like a system you could use.

My future machine will have 8 cores, a 500 GB hard drive, a 1 TB hard drive and 24 GB RAM; all that memory will be used by After Effects when I run it. It is costing me far more than twice what you intend to pay. Furthermore, if I want to do serious video editing, I'll need additional hardware: an external RAID at the bare minimum.

Your local shop may be able to build you a system designed for hobbyists, but if you intend to do work for paying customers, you will need to spend much, much more. I think you are left with a choice: delete about half of what you expect this machine to do, or triple your hardware budget.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Marten Kopp
on Oct 22, 2010 at 8:38:46 am

So your talking about a budget of 7500+. It actually is for paying costumers and my clientlist isn't very small. Take V&D for example. Should be known in US.

The thing is, I am not a hardware expert. And the shop I went to also builds systems for companies that do some of the stuff I do.

The most important thing is that I can edit large amounts of clips shots with my 7D (I am doing a videoclip soon) and be able to create some good motion graphics. I am capable of doing that last thing with my own system but the render times kill the quality of my productions some how.

I think I can push my budget to about 5k so I would be able to get a good machine after all.

The guy in the store was talking about a rampage motherboard and solid state drives. How much impact do they have on a system compared to more regular hardware?

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Oct 22, 2010 at 1:23:57 pm

I wouldn't worry about a solid state drive. I would worry about getting an external RAID. Similar result (faster data), better execution for video. You can even get raids that are striped for security AND performance.

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 22, 2010 at 7:17:51 pm

[Marten Kopp] "The thing is, I am not a hardware expert. And the shop I went to also builds systems for companies that do some of the stuff I do... The guy in the store was talking about a rampage motherboard and solid state drives. How much impact do they have on a system compared to more regular hardware?"

Solid state drives are great for your boot disk, but the price-performance ratio is terrible for media drives. As Michael suggested, they should be recommending RAID-5 to you.

From what you've posted, I'm not sure that this vendor understands your needs. Have you gone over the work you'll be doing and the software you'll be using with them?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Wes Koetje
on Oct 22, 2010 at 8:02:32 pm

I hate to be that guy, but I suggest you dump the local guy and go with a vendor that knows his/her stuff and can actually speak to your needs not just build a supped up gaming machine with the latest specs. There are lots of advertisers on here that would love to build you a smokin fast machine that will serve you well... And make you lots of money with your faster turnaround ability. Good luck and God bless I hope you find what your looking for.

Return to posts index

Marten Kopp
on Oct 23, 2010 at 12:39:45 am

Well, you guys are probably right. The guy at the store claimed to work with after effects often. And I believe he does. But I need my machine to work flawless with HD. Next week I visit another store. It's more dedicated to providing companies instead of home users. They also make some solid 3D and After Effects animations.

Thanks for all your help so far guys.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]