ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Smoothing out keyframes

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brandon LindauerSmoothing out keyframes
by on Oct 21, 2010 at 5:51:17 am

Hey all, need a little help with something
I'm looking for a way to smooth out keyframes over a large scale...

I have a heartbeat sound that I converted to keyframes. I then linked the opacity of a red dot to the slider value, effectively giving a pulsing red light. The problem is that the heartbeat sound converts to a very rigid set of keyframes and the pulsing light appears to blink rather than pulsate. There is no fade in or out period.

I've tried adjusting the keyframe velocity and interpolation to use bezier and the like. Unfortunately the keyframes are in such a way that prevent either of these from being of much help:

Each beat is 8 frames long. The value of Frame1=0, frame2=100, frame3=25, frame4=30, frame5=65, frame6=30, frame7=10, frame8=0

Obviously these aren't the actual values, but as you can see it created a rough 'double bump' action. So my question is this: Is there a way to convert these keyframes into one big smooth 'sine wave' type shape?

The entire heartbeat piece is about 5 min long and not necessarily regular--hence the reason to link the visual to the audio keyframe.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: Smoothing out keyframes
by on Oct 21, 2010 at 4:05:27 pm

Have you tried "The Smoother"?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved