ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Animating Camera Orentation in 3D Space

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam CollinsAnimating Camera Orentation in 3D Space
by on Oct 20, 2010 at 6:37:35 pm

I am incredibly new at animating with a Camera in 3D so this may be basic knowledge. But...

I am making a camera fly through some mountains that were created in photoshop. As I turn I am setting the orient to slant the screen in addition to setting the position to allow the camera to turn. At times, my key frames go really weird and still seem to stay linear despite me setting them to Bezier. (or sometimes they overshoot like the boomerang effect)

When this happens on my Position keyframes, I simply go into a top or side view and play with the handles to smooth out the curves, but I cannot find where the keyframes are to be able to smooth out when dealing with the Orientation keyframes. Is there a place where I can adjust those? Either to smooth out the linear frames when I set them to Bezier or fix the boomerang effect?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Animating Camera Orentation in 3D Space
by on Oct 20, 2010 at 10:28:34 pm

To do what you want, I'd use a combination of moving the keyframes in the timeline and the Graph editor.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Adam CollinsRe: Animating Camera Orentation in 3D Space
by on Oct 22, 2010 at 9:14:18 pm

I have not had a lot of luck with using the keyframe graph... maybe it is my lack of understanding how it entirely works. I try to adjust the speed and angle, but it seems to still not have the desired result. It either still over shoots or just act wacky for lack of a better term.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" JelescuRe: Animating Camera Orentation in 3D Space
by on Oct 21, 2010 at 7:44:33 pm

To animate a camera in 3D space in AE it is best to create a camera rig using Nulls.
There are a few ways of doing that, but here's an excellent tutorial:
http://maltaannon.com/articles/after-effects/simple-camera-rig/

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior Compositor/VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Adam CollinsRe: Animating Camera Orentation in 3D Space
by on Oct 22, 2010 at 9:22:07 pm

Thanks for the link. I had no idea why null objects were used! I think a camera rig is what I need to be able to accomplish my project. I love the idea of 3D, but it is clear I have a lot to learn. Thanks for the help again!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]