ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Lines in 3D Space

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John SmithLines in 3D Space
by on Oct 19, 2010 at 3:34:19 pm

Hi all,

I was wondering how would it be possible to make a 3D space in which some simple lines were connected, a bit like a spiders web. I guess what im talking about is a group of simple lines connected together but in 3D space, so that i can move the whole thing around and also the camera to see different perspectives of the lines.
I've attached an image to give you an example. The white squares represent the camera perspective. The orange lines are meant to be in 3D space so as to enable these perspectives.

Any help will be much appreciated guys.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Lines in 3D Space
by on Oct 19, 2010 at 3:57:18 pm

Trapcode 3D Stroke?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Lines in 3D Space
by on Oct 19, 2010 at 4:08:36 pm

how good are you with expressions....?

i've done similar things with multiple beam effects, but since beam is only a 2d effect, you need to use expressions to link the end points to 3d nulls. once that's done you when you move the camera, the lines appear to react to the movements as if they were in 3d space.

the expression i used is from dan ebberts' site for 3d corner pin. it's pretty simple, and you'd just paste it into the point controls on the beam effect:

target = thisComp.layer("UL");

the 'target' layer would be one of your 3d nulls. you'd add a beam effect to a 2d solid for every line that you wanted. all beam effects except the first should be set to composite 'on original'.

the only other way i can think of would be to use a 3d particle system, where the particles were static (no velocity, gravity, etc), but the producer/emitter moved to create the line pattern. your lines would be made of tiny particles, but if they are close enough to each other, then they should appear as a line.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

John SmithRe: Lines in 3D Space
by on Oct 19, 2010 at 6:55:37 pm

Kevin, you are a champ mate! Initially found your instruction a bit puzzling, but after hours of tinkering, finally got.
Thanks Kevin (and Dan!)

Return to posts index

Emanuel CohenRe: Lines in 3D Space
by on Nov 27, 2010 at 7:15:57 am

can anyone explain that procedure in detail, I cant seem to get it to work, i have text layers in 3d space that are connected by a stroke from the beam effect, but in 3D nothing is connected anymore...

Return to posts index

Emanuel CohenRe: Lines in 3D Space
by on Nov 30, 2010 at 1:20:35 am

can this be done with multiple beams?
it work with two, but I cant get it to work with multiple beams under the same beam effect layer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved