ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Problems on AE after installing Quicktime.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Burwell
Problems on AE after installing Quicktime.
on Oct 19, 2010 at 3:04:48 pm

Everything was fine until I installed Quicktime. Running AE CS4 on a Dell Inspiron 1545 with Windows Vista. Now my videos on preview are playing too fast. At about 120% speed. Also I can't import my usual videos. e.g. I get error message "Cannot import File honkkong.wmv.sfk. Unsupported file or extension". Except the file is actually " hongkong.wmv". I changed to Quicktime so I could preview presets and it does that OK. Any tips appreciated!

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: Problems on AE after installing Quicktime.
on Oct 19, 2010 at 3:51:57 pm

you might try reseting the ae prefs file by holding alt+ctrl+shift while starting ae.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Bob Burwell
on Oct 20, 2010 at 10:53:38 am

Thanks very much for that tip, holding down alt+ctrl+shift while starting ae. Now I can import my .wmv footage. When I drag it into the comp button, it plays at normal speed. But when I drag it to the timeline OR the preview screen, it's back to that 120% speed. Anyway, it's a great improvement and I can live with it for a while. I am still only a beginner, as you may have guessed!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 20, 2010 at 2:53:20 pm

[Bob Burwell] "...Now I can import my .wmv footage. When I drag it into the comp button, it plays at normal speed. But when I drag it to the timeline OR the preview screen, it's back to that 120% speed...."

wmv really isn't the best kind of file type to use in AE 9, which you're running. It's an okay DELIVERY medium, but when you're working in AE, you want all the image quality you can get, and wmv just doesn't cut the mustard on that score.

And there's something else about wmv files: they're long-gop file types, which could easily account for that speedup you're seeing. Although wmv isn't mentioned in the following, it still applies in AE 9:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, AVCHD, mp4, mts, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

I'm a Mac guy, so I like to convert to Quicktime movies in the Animation or PNG codecs; both are lossless. I'll use Apple's Compressor, Adobe Media Encoder or Quicktime Pro to do it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 19, 2010 at 3:56:02 pm

[Bob Burwell] "Everything was fine until I installed Quicktime. "

If you installed anything other than QT 7.6.8 for Win, you might want to consider uninstalling what you have.

Remember: don't use the Windows uninstaller, use the Quicktime uninstaller. Failure to do so will result in QT components being left behind, making new QT installs extremely painful, if not downright impossible.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Bob Burwell
on Oct 20, 2010 at 5:53:57 pm

Thank you for the info on suitable footage files. That might explain a few glitches I have occasionally! I have Adobe Media Encoder so I should have a go at converting to Quicktime.
About uninstalling Quicktime, after things went wrong I did a system restore to lose it. Then there were still problems so I reversed the system restore, to keep it. I'll remember what you advised that using Quicktime uninstaller is best. My version is 7.6.8 (1675).

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 20, 2010 at 10:31:09 pm

[Bob Burwell] "My version is 7.6.8"

Then you've got the most current version of Quicktime for Windows, so you're good there.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]