ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

arbitrary shaped pixel grid

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Hughesarbitrary shaped pixel grid
by on Oct 19, 2010 at 11:55:51 am

Hi,
I need to create various shapes and arrange them within the video frame in a pattern, resembling the wall of a local public building in my home town.
I need these shapes to be on the top most layer and have each shape behave like a single pixel (each pixel having it's own unique shape). This will then give me a very low resolution version of whatever I chose to put in a lower layer.
I can't think of how to achieve this.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Cheers
James

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: arbitrary shaped pixel grid
by on Oct 19, 2010 at 2:26:55 pm

would something like photoshop's crystallize effect work?

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

by on Oct 19, 2010 at 4:43:12 pm

here's a way you may be able to do it in after effects. it will give you a lot of control for the shapes, though it may be tedious to set up depending on how fine of a pattern you want...

add the mosaic effect and set the block size that approximates the size of the shapes that you will need.

then add the mesh warp effect with the same grid size. the rows and columns should line up with the respective mosaic block values. start pulling the grid points around to create your unique shapes.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

James HughesRe: arbitrary shaped pixel grid
by on Oct 19, 2010 at 8:05:45 pm

if I could define the exact shape and size of each section, then it would probably start to get close to the look I'm after.

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: arbitrary shaped pixel grid
by on Oct 19, 2010 at 6:51:05 pm

If you apply the Cell Pattern effect to your footage and set the Cell Pattern option to Crystallize or Crystallize HQ, you will get arbitrary shapes that take on the color of the layer to which they're applied. (So you may need to apply them to a precomp.) You don't get a huge amount of control over the shapes, but it might be just what you need.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

James HughesRe: arbitrary shaped pixel grid
by on Oct 19, 2010 at 8:09:48 pm

thanks, but I'm afraid i do need to define the shapes. Since my last post the brief for the job has become rather more specific and I now need to replicate the pattern from he wall... not just simulate it. hmmm...

Return to posts index

by on Oct 19, 2010 at 9:27:03 pm

if it needs to look like the wall, and you have a picture of the wall, you could create shapes in the exact shape that you need in photoshop. i would work at the resolution/frame size that you will be working with in ae.

you'll need to have each shape as a separate layer, then import that psd as a comp (cropped layers) into ae and add in the shot that you'll use as the source for the mosaic-like effect. then, add the fill effect to a shape and add an expression to the fill color something like this:

target = thisComp.layer("background") // this is your source image;
target.sampleImage(transform.position, [width, height]/2, true, time)

(for details on this expression see dan ebberts' site dan ebberts' site).

the expression will sample the color in the background image to set fill color for a shape. you'll need to copy/paste the effect to the other shapes. an easy way may be to save the effect as an animation preset, then select all the shapes and choose animation>apply animation preset and choose your preset.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: arbitrary shaped pixel grid
by on Oct 19, 2010 at 9:28:00 pm

You can use auto trace on a frame to get masks in the shapes on the wall. Then you can copy and paste each mask to its own solid layer.

That will get you your shapes. (You will probably have to manually tweak the masks, but it'll get you close.)

As far as making them the colors of an underlying layer, I believe you could use expressions for that, but I'd have to do research to find out since I don't know it off the top of my head.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: arbitrary shaped pixel grid
by on Oct 19, 2010 at 9:35:57 pm

Um, you don't have to get this stuff to work in 3D, do you?

That's an important consideration, and one that I didn't see in a quick read through the thread.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]