ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Is Todd Kopriva about?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jimmy Brunger
Is Todd Kopriva about?
on Oct 19, 2010 at 11:42:45 am

Sorry guys, bit desparate...

Hi Todd, if you're about I was hoping you might be able to help me with this locking existing frames problem I am still getting with update 9.0.3!

I'd use Adobe support directly, but they usually take days to get back in touch.

Thanks in advance if you can help!
James.

RELEVANT THREADS:

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/2/988844
http://forums.adobe.com/thread/471254?tstart=0

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Is Todd Kopriva about?
on Oct 19, 2010 at 2:54:59 pm

Perhaps I've overlooked it, but I saw no mention of the type of footage you're using, and it makes a big difference in AE 9. It's VERY common problem in AE 9, and one solved in AE 10, but that doesn't help you. Here's the deal:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, AVCHD, mp4, mts, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

I'm a Mac guy, so I like to convert to Quicktime movies in the Animation or PNG codecs; both are lossless. I'll use Apple's Compressor, Adobe Media Encoder or Quicktime Pro to do it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jimmy Brunger
on Oct 19, 2010 at 3:33:09 pm

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your response. I'm using XDCAM EX footage (mp4 wrappers) I know about the whole h264, mpeg-2 problems in AE, but AE (and the whole CS suite) is supposed to support XDCAM EX!?!

Frustration doesn't even cover it!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 19, 2010 at 3:38:42 pm

[Jimmy Brunger] "but AE (and the whole CS suite) is supposed to support XDCAM EX!?!"

CS5 does a MUCH better support job, but you're really tempting fate by assuming that CS4 will do likewise. I think you've discovered the hard way that it doesn't.

If possible, I'd try to a known problem area in AE (a scene, a single clip, whatever) using converted footage.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Oct 19, 2010 at 3:47:37 pm

i haven't encountered this issue, but 'locking frames' sounds like a cached media operation, and xdcam is the type of footage that usually ends up in the conformed media cache, so it may well be the xdcam footage.

the other probably culprit is audio... have you tried disabling audio and then ram previewing?

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Jimmy Brunger
on Oct 19, 2010 at 4:15:43 pm

Cheers guys, yep - no audio preview is ok, but I'm having to make some edit tweaks within AE - post grade/vfx - and dynamic link's shortcomings were revealed a good while ago, so I have no option but to make painfully slow edits in AE rather than switch back out to Premiere...and need to hear the audio to do this.

So if I buy CS5 will the problem be 100% fixed do you think? Don't really want to UPG in the middle of a project incase it creates more probs, but running out of options here.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 19, 2010 at 4:21:45 pm

If you rely on third-party plugins, you'll encounter pain -- your AE 9 plugins are 32-bit, but AE 10 is 64-bit, and you need to upgrade every single one of them. No guarantees that every single plugin will function flawlessly if you open up the AE 9 project file.

Oh, and a 64-bit operating system is absolutely essential, too. We're just full of good news today.

One possible workaround for your current woes: keep things as they are, but turn off any clip audio and LEAVE IT OFF. Instead, export an audio-only aiff or wav from Premiere and use it. It's just for reference, right?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Jimmy Brunger
on Oct 19, 2010 at 5:18:30 pm

Oh I wish it was that simple Dave! Picking up a gigantic mess that someone else started - the audio in the original Prem proj now in now way matches what is in AE!

I know about CS5/64-bit/plugin issues, but I think I might just have to bite down and go sloooooowww as I am for now!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 19, 2010 at 5:27:37 pm

[Jimmy Brunger] "Picking up a gigantic mess that someone else started - the audio in the original Prem proj now in now way matches what is in AE!"

Oh, Lord. I recall you wrote something about "editing in AE", but that's usually an error on the writer's part. You actually must be doing that!

I feel your pain: editing in AE is like using a teaspoon for landscaping. Give the previous person who worked on this a big Dope Slap from the two of us.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Jimmy Brunger
on Oct 20, 2010 at 7:03:37 am

Indeed....It wouldn't be SO bad if I didn't have to wait 30-60 seconds every time I want to review an edit tweak for a clip only 5 seconds long! ;-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]