ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

newbie question: Best quality DVD export from AE?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mike cantor
newbie question: Best quality DVD export from AE?
on Oct 18, 2010 at 7:24:20 pm

Hi,

I have a six minute stop-motion piece in AE with mixed sources (mostly huge photoshop files, some .avi video) at 1280 x 916 px (I know -- weird). It renders to about 30G with the animation codec.

What is the absolute best way to get this on to a DVD with minimal loss of quality? I have cs4, including Encore DVD, as well as QT Pro, but I don't have Compressor (and don't want to spend a grand on Final Cut to get it).

Thanks so much for any tips you can provide.

-mike

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: newbie question: Best quality DVD export from AE?
on Oct 18, 2010 at 9:28:36 pm

Adobe Media Encoder will provide mpeg2 compression for DVD. Just open teh AE project you want to render in it and render out using one of he DVD presets.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior Compositor/VFX Artist

Return to posts index

mike cantor
on Oct 18, 2010 at 9:43:57 pm

Thanks Ted,

I've heard that the DVD encoding (and compression in general) is poor in AE and that you are better off rendering to animation and using another tool for compression/encoding. Is this your impression as well? Quality is very important for this footage as there is a lot of fine detail.

-mike

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 18, 2010 at 9:51:15 pm

You're right and Ted's right.

Render to the Animation codec. Use the best DVD encoding settings in Adobe Media Encoder. That's just abour as good as it's going to get.

It could get better, but I doubt you have a wad of cash laying around equal to the high five figures to get a hardware MPEG2 encoder.

And remember this: you're going from great-looking HD to SD... DVD quality at that. No matter how good the encode will be, it simply can NOT look as good as what you started with. If it could, there would have been no need for High-Definition TV.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 19, 2010 at 2:34:03 am

[mike cantor] "Quality is very important for this footage as there is a lot of fine detail."

Since you mentioned FCP, I assume you're on a Mac. BitVice is my favorite standard-def MPEG2 compression application, and I use it for nearly all my DVDs. There's a demo if you'd like to compare it with AME.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]