ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

multiprocessing is missing

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
yotam monk
multiprocessing is missing
on Oct 17, 2010 at 3:38:50 pm

ive got a very weird situation in my premier cs5 and after effects
when i go to edit>preferences where it usually give the option to set the memory and multiprocessing, i have only the memory...
why is it?
im working with win 7,8gb ram
thanks ahed

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
Re: multiprocessing is missing
on Oct 17, 2010 at 9:36:01 pm

Please post a screenshot. I suspect that you're looking in the Premiere Pro preferences, not the After Effects preferences. Multiprocessing preferences are relevant to After Effects, but not Premiere Pro.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Thomas Bradley
on Oct 17, 2010 at 11:48:03 pm

HI, how many cores or CPU's do you have?

The AE help files say that a core starts with 2 gig of ram.

So a 4 core cpu will need 8 gig of ram to use multi processing.

My old computer had 2 cores and 4 gig of ram so could MP )multi process)
My new comp has 2 cores but 4 threads so it reads as 4 cores but I only have 4 gig ram (at the moment!) so MP wont work for me right now.

I see you have stated that you have 7.8 gig, I am guessing that means 8 gig or just over, so unless you are using more than 4 cores I cant think of why this would happen.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Oct 17, 2010 at 11:56:42 pm

> The AE help files say that a core starts with 2 gig of ram.

So a 4 core cpu will need 8 gig of ram to use multi processing.

Thomas, that is wrong.

Please, provide the exact quote that you are reading, and a link.

The Help document recommends that optimum performance is usually attained with at least 2GB per core. It doesn't say that it is required for Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously multiprocessing to work.

See this page and this page.

"Optimum performance is achieved with computer systems with at least 2 GB of installed RAM per processor core."

"For a typical project with HDTV-sized compositions, at least 2 GB per background process is recommended for optimum performance."

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support

Return to posts index

Thomas Bradley
on Oct 18, 2010 at 11:21:15 am

I am sorry you are right that is what it says.

I am trying to figure this out now.

This aint my topic so I wont hijack it.

But if I have this understood now it go's like this:

If you have 4 gig of ram installed After Effects will keep a minimum of 1.5 gig reserved for other applications, this is established in Preferences as it wont allow it to go lower (well not on my machine any way)

So if you then have 4 cores ( virtual or logical) and the lowest setting for each background process is .75 gig of ram then 4 x .75 = 3 gig of ram which AE doesn't have to play with so it can not multiprocess for you.

Maybe that is right?

I am sorry for the previous answer, I was taking into account what I have experienced and what i thought I read but after checking you are completely right Todd.

Tom

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]