ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

issues scaling a scene by moving in with camera

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
alex ezorskyissues scaling a scene by moving in with camera
by on Oct 16, 2010 at 11:11:21 pm

So I'm doing this stylistically minimalist dry erase board animation which actually uses relatively complicated AE to achieve ineresting motion. Here is my finished similar video (

In the scene I'm working on now I have a number of nested compositions of things happening (characters being drawn, animating, etc.) and my goal is to have the viewer essentially zoom into a certain part of the scene while keeping full resolution and having things animate.

I was able to get very far with this idea by simply telling all the comps to follow one comp which I then scaled, but as you may know linking comps, scaling on a very high range, and doing all this with the rasterize layer button on, can become very complicated and frustrating.

So I thought screw it, lets just use a camera. I removed all the keyframed scaling from the comps, setup the scene the way I liked it, checked all the 3D boxes in all layers and sublayers, and then started moving the camera in.

YAY it was all going well until I moved the camera in reallly far and then things started getting all screwy.

Characters would jump out of place and glitch and would not show the same issues once previewed. It just got all kinds of ugly.

So now I'm stuck, I tried scaling everything - too frustrating
And I tried moving in with a 3D camera - too frustrating

Any ideas on how to zoom in on an essentially 2D scene extremely far without screwing everything up?

ps, I tried optimizing render, cleaning cache etc.

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: issues scaling a scene by moving in with camera
by on Oct 17, 2010 at 7:46:44 am

I don't know if this will help you but when I have carousel cameras, I use super-super long lenses to remove any possible distortion from very far away so that squares stay square.

Return to posts index

Simon BonnerRe: issues scaling a scene by moving in with camera
by on Oct 17, 2010 at 8:12:55 am

Moving a camera around can be a real pain. Try VideoCopilot's Sure Target preset.

Simon Bonner

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved