ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

AE CS4 Won't open

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lewis DarbyAE CS4 Won't open
by on Oct 16, 2010 at 10:54:02 pm

I've recently been having some major problems with AE CS4.

It all started when my hard drive failed. Luckily I had used time machine and restored all my files and software once I'd replaced my hard drive but the only thing that was different upon restoring was that After Effects won't open.... bit of a bummer as I use After Effects to make a living!

I'm currently running on Mac OSX 10.6.3

I've tried a few things to fix it but can't solve the problem.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the whole cs4 production suite, uninstalled and reinstalled AE on its own, tried deleting the preference files by holding down cmd+alt+shift on opening (which I read sometimes helps) and I've also tried swearing at my computer repeatedly but none of these things seem to work.

The image attached sometimes appears when I try to open AE but most of the time I just get the standard mac 'After Effects quit unexpectedly'

If anyone has any info that might help me as I'm struggling here. My mac/AE has been out of action for about 5 weeks now and it's making me twitchy....

- Lewis

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: AE CS4 Won't open
by on Oct 17, 2010 at 6:47:26 am

you've got a bad registry problem all right. Hard to nail down. Often I delete registry stuff by hand, but unless you know what you're doing, your computer can stop working too. Luckily, adobe has a program to fix this stuff automatically. Google adobe cleaner.
Good luck.

Return to posts index

Lewis DarbyRe: AE CS4 Won't open
by on Oct 17, 2010 at 6:54:40 pm

Hi Chris,

I just tried the Adobe Cleaner but no joy. The only difference this time was that when attempting to reinstall it asked for my serial number, which felt like a bit of a development but everything is still failing in the same way.

Not looking good....

- Lewis

Return to posts index

Chris WrightRe: AE CS4 Won't open
by on Oct 17, 2010 at 8:55:28 pm

I would get help from adobe directly pronto!. They might have a solution. They might even say that you have to reinstall your os!

That's a last resort. Like I said, messing with the registry yourself is dangerous, but if nuking your os is your only option left and adobe is clueless, you have nothing to lose by find next, delete adobe keywords in registry or I'm sure there's a osx software program that cleans registry programs for you.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved