ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Typography in 3D space - text behind subject

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Hashemi
Typography in 3D space - text behind subject
on Oct 15, 2010 at 5:35:47 pm

Hi,

I am in the process of learning more about adding typography in video in a 3D format (not the text in 3D, but the orientation).

The thing I'm stuck on and would love some advice on would be how to have the text go behind and in front of subjects as they move in the video?

I'm guessing some kind of masking, but any recommendations on how to attack this?

Here is a great sample of what I mean (typography starts at 4:21 and the effect I'm talking about can be seen right away where the text is behind the subjects head...and if he moves his head, you see the rest of the text): http://www.vimeo.com/6593996

Thank you!
Dan

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Typography in 3D space - text behind subject
on Oct 15, 2010 at 6:01:11 pm

• Shoot the subject on Chroma key. Don't shoot in HDV or DV: they're just awful for keying.
  • Shoot the background separately.
  • Position text as necessary to create the illusion of 3D. You can also turn all your comp's layers 3D, but it can get confusing to do so for the novice.
  • To create the the illusion of the subject walking through the text, animate masks on solids to simulate portions of the subject appearing on the viewer's side of the text, a technique known as rotoscoping, and use the solid as a track matte for the text.

Here's information on rotoscoping:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WS39e706a46ad531be1172e08...

...and here's information on track mattes:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/aftereffects/cs/using/WS3878526689cb91655866c11...

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Dan Hashemi
on Oct 15, 2010 at 6:40:10 pm

Thanks for quick response Dave!
The only thing is that looking at the sample I posted, these guys didn't shoot the background/subject separately...the same creator did another video shot on a T2i and also was able to pull off these effects.

I've heard of Mocha for AE to be able to follow a subject in terms of masking...would this be more what I'm looking for?

Thanks again and much appreciated!

Cheers,
Dan

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 15, 2010 at 7:38:52 pm

[Dan Hashemi] "The only thing is that looking at the sample I posted, these guys didn't shoot the background/subject separately...the same creator did another video shot on a T2i and also was able to pull off these effects. I've heard of Mocha for AE to be able to follow a subject in terms of masking...would this be more what I'm looking for?"

It's still rotoscoping. As Dave has suggested, shooting on a greenscreen will make your life a lot easier.

In addition to the links Dave provided, I'll suggest these:

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 15, 2010 at 8:49:50 pm

I couldn't see that vimeo video, so I'm at something of a disadvantage.

I can't really say if AE 10's new Rotobrush tool would be helpful. If it's not people dancing in front of the text, I think it could be.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Dan Hashemi
on Oct 15, 2010 at 9:31:49 pm

Great links and advice guys! Thank you :)
I'm gonna give the Roto brush a go and see how that works out and also check out the other links.

The thing that is baffling me is that they shot this on 3 cameras, no green screens, no shooting background separately from subjects/foreground.

Again, your feedback and advice is much much appreciated!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 16, 2010 at 12:46:15 am

[Dan Hashemi] "I'm gonna give the Roto brush a go..."

Then you need to read this:

http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/04/roto-brush-in-after-effects-cs.h...

Read and watch EVERYTHING. Rotobrush isn't the most intuitive tool around. When things get tricky, you'll hang yourself if you think you can use it without prior knowledge.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]