ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

which creative cow training teaches...

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Johnson
which creative cow training teaches...
on Oct 15, 2010 at 7:42:56 am

Does one of the creative cow AE training programs teach animation and expressions similar to the ones used in the now famous Crisis of Credit Visualized video?

My company wants me to make a video similar to that one and they are expecting it to be just as good.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: which creative cow training teaches...
on Oct 15, 2010 at 12:21:57 pm

[Chris Johnson] "Does one of the creative cow AE training programs teach animation and expressions similar to the ones used in the now famous Crisis of Credit Visualized video?"

There are probably dozens of techniques used in Crisis of Credit Visualized, so it's way beyond the scope of a single tutorial. If there's a particular effect you're interested in, please describe it (or give a time reference in the video) and we might be able to help narrow down your search. If you're relatively new to After Effects, start here.

[Chris Johnson] "My company wants me to make a video similar to that one and they are expecting it to be just as good."

It's not just a particular animation technique that makes that video good. Beyond strong technical execution, it's also well-written and well-designed. The VO is well-read, and the sound design enhances the animation.

Doing a project similar to this means starting with the script and spending a lot of time working on the storyboards and mood boards before jumping into After Effects.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Chris Johnson
on Oct 15, 2010 at 3:09:39 pm

Yeah I have the script and storyboard and most of the individual graphic assets already made in PS or AI. I'm an expert in FCP and would prefer to edit the V.O. and music/sound fx in FCP.

For example, at 4:40 there has to be an expression for the repeating clouds of smoke so you don't have to duplicate 50 smoke clouds and have 50 different tracks for them. Same with 4:07 and the repeating house arrows.

What would be IDEAL is if there was an AE expert in the San Diego or Orange County or even L.A. area I could pay to teach me the effects as we work through the video.

If anyone knows someone in any of those areas who might be willing to do that let me know.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 15, 2010 at 7:24:48 pm

[Chris Johnson] "Yeah I have the script and storyboard and most of the individual graphic assets already made in PS or AI. I'm an expert in FCP and would prefer to edit the V.O. and music/sound fx in FCP."

Excellent! You're halfway there.

[Chris Johnson] "For example, at 4:40 there has to be an expression for the repeating clouds of smoke so you don't have to duplicate 50 smoke clouds and have 50 different tracks for them. Same with 4:07 and the repeating house arrows."

Expressions are used for driving the values of properties, so they won't do what you're looking for.

I would built the house arrows as a seamless loop and an intro into the loop; it would only take a few layers to do in a couple of precomps. I would use a particle system like Particular to generate the smoke effect.

[Chris Johnson] "What would be IDEAL is if there was an AE expert in the San Diego or Orange County or even L.A. area I could pay to teach me the effects as we work through the video. If anyone knows someone in any of those areas who might be willing to do that let me know."

I'd post this on the COW's Job Board.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]