ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Youtube madness

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kolin JamesYoutube madness
by on Oct 14, 2010 at 7:49:48 pm

I do lot of work for TV where we mess with Youtube clips. Often they have an odd frame rate. Kind of a 3/2 pulldown type frame repeat. Roto on this stuff or motion tracking can be quite problematic due to the duplicated frames. Anyone know a way to strip these clips to a non repeating frame rate? Have tried posterize time and taking them all the way down to 15 fps and still get repeats.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Youtube madness
by on Oct 14, 2010 at 8:22:58 pm

[Kolin James] "I do lot of work for TV where we mess with Youtube clips... Roto on this stuff or motion tracking can be quite problematic due to the duplicated frames."

Um, I kinda hate to bring up a delicate topic, but do you have the proper copyright clearance to be doing things like this?

Now the crucial question: how are you acquiring these clips? Don't they have the correct frame rate if you download them?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kolin JamesRe: Youtube madness
by on Oct 18, 2010 at 7:00:47 pm

As this is a network tv show, they have a large pack of lawyers making sure we are within the bounds of parody or whatever classification is appropriate. Believe it or not, many popular mainstream shows rely on youtube as a video archive of news stories and other video files. Its crazy that we have to do it this way, and we do have a team that does nothing but watch and tivo, but they cant catch everything.

Anyways, we capture using one of the many free online capture programs (keepvid i think). We have tried commercial apps for this in the past and had less luck than the free ones. You cant go frame by frame on youtube so I cant tell if its getting converted by these apps. I highly doubt it as that would require processing time. The weird frame rate is built into the clips when they are downloaded.

Return to posts index

by on Oct 18, 2010 at 10:24:10 pm

The problem with any screen capture program is that it captures at the frame rate you tell it to use... which may not be the frame rate of the video you're capturing.

The only way to get one-to-one correspondence between youtube and your captures is through trial and error. Ugh.

The only other way I could see how to do it is to make nice with the youtube people and see if they'll send you the files you need, or give you access to them. I'm sure money would need to change hands, but it could easily be worth it, considering the time you lose by working with weird-frame-rate footage in AE.

And as you say, this is a network show. Do they really want to make life tough for you?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Kolin JamesRe: Youtube madness
by on Oct 18, 2010 at 10:29:06 pm

There is no frame rate for capture with keepvid. I am pretty sure it is just allowing us to download the movie as it exists on their server so I don't think calling youtube would make any difference.

And even though this is a network show, making things easy for the boys in graphics is not generally a high priority.

Return to posts index

by on Oct 18, 2010 at 10:43:45 pm

Well, this keepvid stuff must have SOME frame rate.

Does it vary from capture to capture, which might indicate what you seem to think, namely that lets you download the movie as is? Some people post at 29.97, some at 23.976, some at 25 (PAL) and some at 59.94, y'know....

Is the frame rate consistent, which could indicate that this keepvid thing has a set frame rate that you can't fool with?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]