ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Color shift with RED footage cs4/cs5

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Arjen AbbesteeColor shift with RED footage cs4/cs5
by on Oct 14, 2010 at 8:24:30 am

This must have something to do with RED plugin updates, but when I open my older CS4 projects in CS5 all RED footage is interpreted differently rendering my old projects useless.
Is there a simple way to get the 'old' colors back? The new plugin must be backwards compatible in some way I hope? I often use pre-renders in combination with original material so the color shift is very obvious...

Tnx,

Arjen

Return to posts index

Jason McKeeRe: Color shift with RED footage cs4/cs5
by on Oct 14, 2010 at 4:55:43 pm

What build of REDCINE-X are you running. This is a problem (depends on how you look at it) with the RED. after some updates they change he color science. usually for the better but in many cases like yours, you need the original color to remain the same throughout the life of the project. the only thing i can say is (if you have recently updated to a newer version of the REDCINE-X package) to uninstall your current version including the codecs that are prepacked with it and then replace it with the version you started with. the older version should still be up on their website. i have had this problem before but other than that, if that doesn't fix it, i couldn't say. hope this helps. thx.
-jm

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Color shift with RED footage cs4/cs5
by on Oct 14, 2010 at 5:57:31 pm

Here's a post on my blog about making the new RED color science work in After Effects CS5:
http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2010/05/cs5-mysteriumx-red-update.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to posts index

Arjen AbbesteeRe: Color shift with RED footage cs4/cs5
by on Oct 14, 2010 at 9:38:27 pm

Interesting read, but both your replies confirm what I was afraid of. Simply switching to color version 1 in the new control panel does not do the trick. So apparently there is no simple way to switch from one red plug-in version to the next. Every time I open an old project (or not so old but created on a clients machine) I'll have to guess what plugin version was used...
I'll just have to get the old version and check with every client that we use the same version from now on.
Let's just hope this will be addressed a little better in the future.

Arjen

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Color shift with RED footage cs4/cs5
by on Oct 14, 2010 at 10:19:03 pm

Ah, life on the bleeding edge.

Although they are sparse, there are certain virtues in working in well-established workflows.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Oct 15, 2010 at 7:15:19 am

Why is there so often a hint of sarcasm in your posts?
I don't think this has anything to do with workflows. Unless you mean by 'well established workflow' that you never update any software. My workflow is very well established. This however, is a backwards compatibility problem. If at all possible, I always keep the previous version of my software on my computer to avoid this kind of problems. The RED software is a system-wide update (codecs). So either I get a new computer for every RED update or find a way to have the new plugin interpret the footage like the previous version did. And that is what my post is about.
If you have no answer to that question please refrain from making 'I never run in to any problems because I am a professional and you are all amateurs' comments.
Maybe I misunderstood you. Maybe your comment is aimed at RED. But reading your replies to almost every single post on this forum I don't get that impression...

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Color shift with RED footage cs4/cs5
by on Oct 15, 2010 at 5:23:34 pm

Arjen Abbestee: a unique name, and easily remembered.

I'll remember it for your thin skin and that you brook absolutely NO joking around in the threads in which you're involved.

Bye!

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

by on Oct 15, 2010 at 5:35:58 pm

That's funny, because as far as I remember this is the first time I react to your so called jokes. Please enlighten me, my memory apparently suffers from bad workflow...

The one and only unique Arjen

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Color shift with RED footage cs4/cs5
by on Oct 15, 2010 at 5:40:29 pm

Are you not able to switch between Color Version 1 and Color Version 2 in the RED Source Settings dialog box?

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
Technical Support for professional video software
After Effects Help & Support
Premiere Pro Help & Support

Return to posts index

by on Oct 15, 2010 at 5:55:28 pm

Hi todd,

Yes I can, but there is still a color shift. Not as much as with version 2 but there is still a small difference.
I thought it would be the solution, but alas, not so. Maybe the older project was made with a plugin two versions ago. I'm off for the weekend now but I'll have a look in the archives next monday. I usually keep downloaded installers so I can probably go back a couple of versions.
Keep you posted.

Arjen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]