ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

SLOW toggling between AE and FCP and Finder

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Candia
SLOW toggling between AE and FCP and Finder
on Oct 13, 2010 at 7:30:39 pm

When using After Effects CS4, Final Cut Pro and Compressor, the work station becomes lethargically slow, especially when toggling between programs.

Items we've tested:
Local Hard Disk Space: Over 30% remaining
External Monitor: Disconnected and issue still exists
Hard restart (after becoming unresponsive): Issue still exists

The 8Core machine is running OSX 10.6.4. It is working over a networked storage of 3TB (GSPEED, RAID5, with over 50% remaining) on an 8Core Snow Leopard Server. The user states that the renders go faster when no one else is using the storage(as they should) but the slow response toggling between programs still occurs, no matter how many users are on the storage.

Other work stations, with same specs, are working just fine.

Could this be a RAM issue? or a using AE and FCP over a network issue? Could it be the machine's position on the gigabit switch?

I'm curious to see if anyone has encountered this issue before or if it is just something wonky with the work station.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: SLOW toggling between AE and FCP and Finder
on Oct 13, 2010 at 8:24:46 pm

[Alex Candia] "The 8Core machine is running OSX 10.6.4."

That particular version has been problematic for AE in the past. Do the other workstations also run that particular OS?

[Alex Candia] "Could this be a RAM issue?"

You don't say how much RAM is installed. But understand that in its multiprocessing mode, AE 9 can utilize up to 4GB/core.

Many efficient AE multiprocessing configurations reserve 2 cores for OS and other open applications, then assign of 2-4 GB/core, juggling cores assigned to multiprocessing if necessary to leave about 2GB RAM for OS & other applications. I personally have 8GB on my 8-core Mac Pro and DO NOT use multiprocessing; I don't have enough RAM to see a significant increase in speed.

And here's another potential speed thief: is this workstation trying to use Qmaster? How is it set up? How does the setup compare to the others?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Alex Candia
on Oct 13, 2010 at 10:08:54 pm

That particular version has been problematic for AE in the past. Do the other workstations also run that particular OS?
Yes. The other work stations are running that OS.

Qmaster is not being used, that I know of, but it does show in the Activity Monitor. This machine is on our gigabit switch but only connecting to the server to get to network storage. It has 4GB memory and I'm checking the Activity Monitor and it's maxing out at 3.99GB.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 13, 2010 at 10:31:40 pm

[Alex Candia] "It has 4GB memory..."

That's a pitifully small amount of RAM to have on such a capable machine for AE work. It's right on the ragged edge of being insufficient. Make sure multiprocessing is never turned on, and make sure AE is the only open application. Better yet, shove some more RAM into that thing.

I just ordered a new computer for home. I'll use it primarily for AE work. It will have 24GB RAM on it.
I'm giving over the 4GB Win XP machine to the wife for her geneology web site expeditions.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 13, 2010 at 11:34:37 pm

I'm going to revise my message above.
If you expect to keep AE, FCP and Compressor all open at the same time, 4 GB is nowhere near enough memory for that machine. If it were mine, I wouldn't settle for any less than 16 GB, and I'd push for more.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 13, 2010 at 8:25:55 pm

[Alex Candia] "Could this be a RAM issue?"

That'd be my first guess. Check Activity Monitor, or install MenuMeters and watch free RAM and paging activity when switching apps.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Felipe Fenton
on Jan 17, 2014 at 5:22:30 pm

I'm having the same issue with After Effects CC, but JUST TRYING TO TOGGLE BETWEEN AE AND FINDER. NO OTHER PROGRAMS OPEN. This has happened to me with two different machines in our studio, both with the following specs:

2x2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon
64 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

On one machine I was working on a project with about 25 layers, on the other machine a project with 3 layers.

Makes me think it's a bug in AE. Any others having similar issues?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]