ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

3D Layer working as matte (Challenging!)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jurjen Versteeg3D Layer working as matte (Challenging!)
by on Oct 13, 2010 at 1:51:47 pm

Hi There,

Here's an issue which keeps cracking my brain for while now and I hope if someone else has a possible solution on this forum.

How can I set a 3D layer to have a track matte behavior. So eveything behind it will disappear, but everything in front is just visible, without showing the 3D layer itself.

Maybe I can compare it with a MatteShadow material from 3DS Max, you don't see the object but it's definitely hiding objects which are at the back of it in Z space.

Thanks already!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: 3D Layer working as matte (Challenging!)
by on Oct 13, 2010 at 2:38:53 pm

I've never done this trick before, but can't you simply put the blue layer above the red layer in the timeline, highlight the red layer and tell it to use the blue layer as an alpha matte?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jurjen VersteegRe: 3D Layer working as matte (Challenging!)
by on Oct 13, 2010 at 3:39:40 pm

Hi Dave,

I'm sorry. I forgot to mention that the layers are orbiting around the blue box (in this example).
So if the red layer is rotating around the blue box as an alpha matted layer, it won't be visible as soon as its in front of the blue box.

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: 3D Layer working as matte (Challenging!)
by on Oct 13, 2010 at 4:19:14 pm

Silhouette Alpha should do the trick. Although using 3D layers as track mattes isn't generally encouraged but this seems like a simple enough setup.

AE Training in South East Asia. AE templates for sale and rental. Click here for more

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved